rivera knucklehead

donkeystyle

so i have this knucklehead. i've had it for about 3 years and changed the tubes in it about a year ago. yesterday my amp started acting really weird on channel one......that's the marshall'ish channel..........it started out just kind of compressing when i strummed and not compressing when i played single notes. then after a little while if i palm muted, it sounded like i was muting to hard, or playing too hard and fretting out, but it was blended with this kind of blown speaker sound. then today i checked it out again and not it's doing the thing that it was doing when i palm muted last night.

it's completely normal on the clean channel, so i dont think it's power tubes. do you guys think it's a pre amp tube?

a friend of mine also has the same amp and his channel 1 just stopped working one day. he called rivera and they told them that it was a problem on the v3 part of the board, that they had used a 1/2 watt resistor or capacitor(i cant remember which) where they should have used a 1watt. do you think it could be the same problem? he bought his amp used, so he didn't even ask them to honor the warranty, but i think that if the cap or resistoris the case, they might just send me the cap or whatever so i can have a local electrician put it in, or do it myself.......i know that you guys dont suggest doing that kind of thing on your own.

basically, i'm asking. do you think it's a preamp tube or the cap or resistor problem?

i plan on calling rivera when i have the time, but i work during the day and will have to remember to do it on my lunch break. i have a terrible memory, so it'll probably be a while before i can call them.

any and all help will be much appreciated.

donkeystyle said:
so i have this knucklehead. i've had it for about 3 years and changed the tubes in it about a year ago. yesterday my amp started acting really weird on channel one......that's the marshall'ish channel..........it started out just kind of compressing when i strummed and not compressing when i played single notes. then after a little while if i palm muted, it sounded like i was muting to hard, or playing too hard and fretting out, but it was blended with this kind of blown speaker sound. then today i checked it out again and not it's doing the thing that it was doing when i palm muted last night.

it's completely normal on the clean channel, so i dont think it's power tubes. do you guys think it's a pre amp tube?

a friend of mine also has the same amp and his channel 1 just stopped working one day. he called rivera and they told them that it was a problem on the v3 part of the board, that they had used a 1/2 watt resistor or capacitor(i cant remember which) where they should have used a 1watt. do you think it could be the same problem? he bought his amp used, so he didn't even ask them to honor the warranty, but i think that if the cap or resistoris the case, they might just send me the cap or whatever so i can have a local electrician put it in, or do it myself.......i know that you guys dont suggest doing that kind of thing on your own.

basically, i'm asking. do you think it's a preamp tube or the cap or resistor problem?

i plan on calling rivera when i have the time, but i work during the day and will have to remember to do it on my lunch break. i have a terrible memory, so it'll probably be a while before i can call them.

any and all help will be much appreciated.

Have you tried asking here?

http://www.rivera.com/board/?topic=topic1

donkeystyle said:
i was going to, but it's so unorganized and hard to navigate. i got a headache looking at it.

Yeah I got ya', but still lol :) ...it's worth a shot eh? I'm a Quiana owner myself..Rivera rocks!..Sorry your having problems, wished I could help.

The resistor thing could be it, I don't know about the warantee. I doubt they will send you a resistor (the postage would cost more than the part) Call them and find out

i am going to call them. i just put preamp tubes into it that i know were good and it still did it.

some companies will send little stuff like that. it's good business. though, i dunno if rivera is one of those companies or not.

just letting anyone that's interested know that it was in fact the resistor problem, but it was actually on the v4 part of the board not the v3.

it was the resistor on pin3 of v4. i called rivera and talked to mike(super nice guy by the way) he told me i just had to put a 1watt 100k resistor in it. i did it. i had to resolder it a couple times to get it right, and got electrocuted twice. the first time i barely noticed it, but the second time was pretty painful.

i might be imagining this, but the channel i fixed seems a little quieter than the second channel now. i dunno. i'll figure it out though.

thanks to everyone for all their help.

Back