Revolver or Sgt.Pepper

I agree

Despite all the hype and the ascendency of Sgt. Pepper to the highest ranks of legend and folklore, I'll take Revolver for its tunes.

spwee

yEp.

I reckon revolver too, just for the songs.....

but..............

I think Sgt. Pepper was a bit more of an achievement, as an album.

pAp.

Glad you asked. "Pepper" turns up year after year on all kinds of #1 lists. But "revolver" has always been my fave. While the songs on "pepper" are great, I always thought it a bit overproduced. The songs on revolver are just as great. You can't beat the clarity and directness of "revolver". The electricness of the guitars. Also it's the last Beatle's album where you can still imagine them working together as a band.

Here my thoughts on this only begin.

Tough choice.. both fantastic albums.

Colonel Austin, are you out shopping for music? Just buy them all.

And why is this in the Guitars and Basses (funny title I think, maybe rod and reel, or 'Stringed Instruments' would be better) forum? Are you looking for something specific to that?

Revolver is thier highest selling alblem of originals, which is significant because you measure ones fan base based on the highest selling record and concert attendance.

Funny how it didn't outsell even one Led Zep recording. Even hootie and the blowfish have a record that sold more than revolver. so does alanis morrisette for that matter, In fact if not for the multitude of different records that was put out the beatles would have been quite average in thier impact.

By the way the white alblem doesnt count because it is a" best of "collection.

no, c7sus, it's 'revolver' you're thinking of. "Taxman", " I'm Only Sleeping", "Love To You", "She Said.....", " And Your Bird Can Sing".... etc...

Ya got me there on "rubber soul" c7sus, ya did. Fuck! It's like pullin' out an old vintage wine. "Rubber Soul" is a wild card in any musicians game.

What about Let It Be (The album, not the song)??? I think its one of their best, its just so raw. I love all the beatles albums though, too hard to pick a favorite.

Whyte Ice-

"Let It Be" is a "raw" album because all the "beatles" hated each other when they recorded it. You're right. It is one of their best.

Now, have a listen to "Beatles For Sale".

When I'm trying to prove to an uninitiated person that the beatles were a much better band than is apparent in "I want to hold your Hand" I pull out Revolver.

As far as twisted pop sensibility, I keep going back to Happiness is a Warm Gun and Sexy Sadie from the White Album as two of most truely blissful little masterpieces ever.

I heard that John Lennon tooks some of the songs to Phil Spector like "The Long And Winding Road" and they added a choir or something like that.

Didn't Spector remix Across The Universe?

I think "Revolver" over "Sgt Pepper". I remember being amazed at the songs when I first heard them on a BBC radio show where some of them were previewed just before the release of "Revolver" - not one bad song amongst them, I think they stand equal to and perhaps even above anything that's on "Sgt Pepper". Also the album title is way cooler that that of Sgt P...

- Wil

I too agree that Revolver is the better album. It seems that George Martin and Paul had more to do with the production of Pepper than Lennon (with some exceptions, such as Lucy and Day in the Life), and the same attempt was made with Abbey Road, both obvious commercial successes.. but I still like Revolver better.

I hated the version of Long and Winding Road on the Let it Be album. The single version was with just Paul alone on the piano, and it totally changed my mind about the piece when I first heard it. The exact same thing with Across the Universe: the un-Spector'd one is much more personal and holds its magic better.

It still amazes me to think that Twist and Shout, and Long Tall Sally were recorded in one take. I can't even press record the first time correctly.

Cy

Rubber Soul was their first hard rock album,following the poppy Yesterday And Today.This is a cool thread because the Beatles changed so much over their brief carear.Ringo was in town at Billy Bobs last week with the All Starr Band.There are two local cover bands that do strictly Beatles,Rain and Me And My Monkey.

Tom

p.s. turn me on dead man

Back