replace the speakers or replace the cabinet?

osus

hello,

i've been playing a musicman stingray 5 through a 70's ampeg v4 head into a bag end 2x12 cabinet (not sure what year or model, just that it isn't made any more and there isn't any information on it on the web).

it sounds great, has always cut through the mix, and gives me the satisfaction of confusing the sound-guys who look around for a 15 or an 8x10 and come to the conclusion that we're a band without a bassist.

my only complaint is that it looses a little tightness on the low b, but i don't really hang out in the lower registers too much and can usually compensate with eq on the bass and switching fingering position when i need to go lower but want to retain articulation & punch.

the problem is...

it's developed a quiet buzzing sound that my amp technician had concluded a while ago as being one of the speakers beginning to die out. the longer i've played with it the more pronounced the buzz (which has a slightly phased characteristic) has gotten. the volume of the buzz is more or less constant--it decays with the sound of the bass but seems to be just as loud no matter how loudly or quietly i play.

i'm happy to stick with my current setup and just replace the speakers, but all the information i've found about 12 inch replacement speakers is geared towards guitar amps, and especially not towards 5-string basses. furthermore, i've heard from a couple (not-so-reputable) sources that super-low frequencies matched with the wrong speaker and an improperly tuned cabinet can result in early speaker death. so i'd like to make sure that if i replace my speakers, i'm not setting myself up for a short-lived experience with them.

the cabinet's internal dimensions are 26 1/2 x 16 x 12, and it has two 2" ports centered with the back of each speaker.

any suggestions on replacements, retuning the cabinet or just moving on to something else entirely?

thanks in advance!

I'd move on to a new cabinet, but that's just me.

Making speaker changes to cabinets can be tricky business. It would be nice to have a 15 in there somewhere, but it may not fit based on your dimensions.

Ed

If the cab is in mint condition, I'd try to sell it and replace it. You sure it's not just some loose hardware that is resonating on certain pitches? Does it buzz no matter which notes you play? If it's only on certain frequencies or certain pitches, same pitches all the time, then I'd look for some other explanation before I'd give up on the speaker. A good gear shop should be able to test the speaker for you if you want to know for sure whats wrong with it.

If it's kinda beat up and not worth selling, then I would definitely try to replace the speaker. But make sure you beef it up with a few corner braces (1x1 or 2x2 strips glued and screwed into the cab corners with PL400 construction adhesive) while you ahve it opened up.

If the cab itself is good, and you are willing to try a new speaker, I'd do it just cuz a good cab is hard to come by.

You can email Ted Weber or the support guys at Eminence and ask them about your concerns. They will tell you what to look for in a speaker replacement.

I would look into getting the speaker(s) with the rubbing voice coil reconed. It's a lot cheaper than either other option.

I would replace BOTH speakers in your cabinet. If you don't like the new sound I would then sell the cab and get a new one.

ggunn said:
I would look into getting the speaker(s) with the rubbing voice coil reconed. It's a lot cheaper than either other option.

If you decide to get your speaker(s) repaired, give these guys a call:

Great Plains Audio
http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/
(405) 789-0221

They do a great job repairing vintage speakers; I got them to repair a 70's Altec coaxial monitor speaker (a rare bird that no one I could find here in Austin would touch), and I was very pleased with both the quality of the work and the turnaround time. It didn't break the bank, either.

You might call Weber too. I don't know if they do bass speakers but they make tons of guitar speakers.

Back