Recording punk rock along the lines of Green Day

kylosius

I Like Rusty Spoons
I've got two guitars. one is a 2000 Kramer Focus and the other is an Epiphone Les Paul. I play through a solid state Fender Stage 100 combo on the standard gain setting (the more drive setting adds too much noise). at the moment i only have two standard karoake mics and i am lookng to get a four track. With the lack of equipment (i am lookng at a TASCAM 424) can anyone recommend to get a decent green day type sound from my setup.

I'd forget about miking an amp with a karaoke mic.
Besides, chances are you don't have a perfect room for it anyway.
I'd pick up a J-Station for $150. No worries.

You can get a good sound with what you have and a 424, but you'd be better off dropping $80 on an SM57 instead of using those crappy karaoke mics.

Then if you have even more, get another 57 or a condensor and put one 57 about 6" from the speaker of your amp, and move the other one around the room until it sounds good (plugged into the 424).

For the price of the 424 ($400) you might check into that new digital 4-track. I think it's from Boss and I think it's the same price, plus you get COSM modeling, and all kinds of built in effects.

DP

You can get that "greenday parctise recording through a crappy karoke mic sound" with your setup.

Seriously, I would pick up an SM-57.

do you have a computer? If you dropped a little more cash on some software and a sound card you get many more options in regards to sound.

I agree you should get a 57, but you don't need a condensor or anythign liek that, or a dual mic'ing setup. If you're getting a 4 track, and not some high-tech more professional recording medium, it isn't needed. Just mic the amp near the speaker, a little off from the cone, keep the amp at a low level (solid state just sounds worse as you turn it up from my experience, your amp might be different). Old Green Day was a thick distortion you can get by bringing up the bass and bringings down the treble a bit. KEEP YOUR MIDS. Also, most people don't realize that the guitar sound they are hearing on tape is a combination of the bass and the guitar. Put a bass track down along with the guitar and it will fill out your sound like you wouldn't believe. Sorry for the rambling.

Jake

What's the point of joining (or creating a new username) and then bumping 10 year old threads.

I was wondering at all the names I didn't recognize and a couple I hadn't seen in ages. Shit, this thread is before I joined.

lou

Back