Recording Latency with any program

dwt020814

Im using a Tascam US122 with an SM57 Mic and Sony Acid 5.0/Cool Edit 2.1 If anyone has any questions of any of my other equipment/specs please ask.

The guitar is way late in Acid, and is alright in cool edit for about the first 20 seconds or so.

Attempted to manually adjust latency to no avail.

I need some suggestions for a solution to my problem. Ive tried ASIO4ALL but that seemed to have no to little effect.

HELP. lol

Thanks in advance. :confused:

dwt020814 said:
Im using a Tascam US122 with an SM57 Mic and Sony Acid 5.0/Cool Edit 2.1 If anyone has any questions of any of my other equipment/specs please ask.

The guitar is way late in Acid, and is alright in cool edit for about the first 20 seconds or so.

Attempted to manually adjust latency to no avail.

I need some suggestions for a solution to my problem. Ive tried ASIO4ALL but that seemed to have no to little effect.

HELP. lol

Thanks in advance. :confused:

Not sure why you're in the guitar forum but anyway. Why are you using ASIO4ALL and not Tascam US 122L ASIO? There's an ASIO driver that comes with the tascam,

Well im fairly new to this entire thing, so please bare with me lol.

Im not able to monitor the drum track when using Tascam ASIO driver (no longer using asio4all). Update: Ive got my latency settings in Acid down, however the track will only stay in time for about 20 seconds or so, then the guitar starts gettin ahead of the drums. Makes ZERO sense to me. :confused:

dwt020814 said:
Well im fairly new to this entire thing, so please bare with me lol.

Im not able to monitor the drum track when using Tascam ASIO driver (no longer using asio4all). Update: Ive got my latency settings in Acid down, however the track will only stay in time for about 20 seconds or so, then the guitar starts gettin ahead of the drums. Makes ZERO sense to me. :confused:

If you cant monitor the drum track, that sounds odd...are you sure it's still there/not muted etc? What kind of computer spec do you have?

You should be direct monitoring when you're recording if you're having any latency problems. This can be selected on your tascam interface. The fact that there's a delay during playback seems to indicate a driver issue.

Doesn't sound like latency, it sounds like your timing reference is wrong. What device is being used as the clock?

I agree with Alchuck. Look to see if you have an option that says something like "reset clock when idle" My sound card does. In effect any time you stop playback the clock resets itself so that all is in sync when you resume playback. Hope that helps.

recording

Thanks for the feedback guys ill have to look into the sound card clock thing. Im not sure exactly how to find that out. As far as I know, im recording from the same place in the drum track every single time (which is the beginning of the track) if that makes any difference.

My PC specs are: 1gb ram, Intel Core2Duo 6300, SB Audigy 4, SATA 160gb HD, and like I said a Tascam US122 (whose drivers wont stay installed when I restart my PC :mad: ) hooked up thru USB with a Shure SM57 mic.

Hope that can narrow down some solutions, but ill definitely look at the clock thing.

Thanks all.

dwt020814 said:
(whose drivers wont stay installed when I restart my PC :mad: )
Hope that can narrow down some solutions, but ill definitely look at the clock thing.

Thanks all.
That's odd. Did it come with Cubase LE?

breeeeza said:
How the hell did you come up with that username?

I wont ask about "breeeeeza" ... dwt are my initals and the numbers are just memorized. Hope you sleep better tonight knowing that, lol.

I just cruised down to the local recording equipment retailer and they basically suggested that Acid and Cooledit suck and that Sonar should fix my problems. They also suggested that I should pick up and M box, but my tascam does what I need it to do i suppose.

Any thoughts on my problem being software related? See above for PC specs.

dwt020814 said:
I wont ask about "breeeeeza" ... dwt are my initals and the numbers are just memorized. Hope you sleep better tonight knowing that, lol.

I just cruised down to the local recording equipment retailer and they basically suggested that Acid and Cooledit suck and that Sonar should fix my problems. They also suggested that I should pick up and M box, but my tascam does what I need it to do i suppose.

Use the bundled software it came with! Cubase LE is good.

dwt020814 said:

Quick question. What is the source of the drum track? I have no experience with Acid nor Cool Edit, but this really sounds like a synch issue. If you're trying to use the SB card and the Tascam together, you'll have problems...

Both cubase LE and sony acid are good (once you have learnt the programmes!!), they probably want to sell you something.

wbcsound said:
Quick question. What is the source of the drum track? I have no experience with Acid nor Cool Edit, but this really sounds like a synch issue. If you're trying to use the SB card and the Tascam together, you'll have problems...

Elaborate please.

I programmed the drums in reason, exported them as a wave file. Imported that into acid/Cooledit and am trying to record over it.

dwt020814 said:
Elaborate please.

I programmed the drums in reason, exported them as a wave file. Imported that into acid/Cooledit and am trying to record over it.

Well, obvious question but provided you don't have a sync problem, is your metronome in acid cool edit set to what it was in reason?

I know this was obvious :o

You still don't seem to know if you have Cubase LE.

TelePaul said:
Well, obvious question but provided you don't have a sync problem, is your metronome in acid cool edit set to what it was in reason?

I know this was obvious :o

You still don't seem to know if you have Cubase LE.

I dont have Cubase LE. Its may be floating around in CD land somewhere, ill have to dig it out later.

Im actually using Sonar at the moment and have adjusted the BPM to match that of the drums in reason, so the metronome is now on time with the pre recorded track.

The guitar is still ahead of the drums.

As for setting a timing master, should I be using my sound card or my Tascam to master both playback and record timing? Adjust the offset seems to do nothing ......

Last edited:
Back