recording guitar direct

danzd

hey guys, im new to the board. ive done a lot of recording in the past with good results but now i am trying to go directly to my interface (focusrite saffire) with my guitar and rocktron g300 processor and the sound is just not what i expected. it sounds very fuzzy and muffled, and this processor sounds great through an amp. i know plenty of guys who have had good results using preamps direct-in all ranging in quality from a pod 2.0 to a fractal axe fx. now, im using a 1/4 unbalance input into the interface which i believe may be causing my problem. im thinking about trying a di box for a balanced input. does anybody know what could be causing this problem?

yeah i do. ive tried everything by now, ive tried touching things up with a sonic maximizer, spent substantial time EQing, quad tracking... nothing seems to be getting rid of that fuzzy tone. im about to go back and set my mics up again.

I had the reverse problem where things sounded good direct but like crap through amp. I was using a line 6 pedal and had some settings to change depending on your set up. Once I changed that it worked fine.

I see in the manual it shows a few different set ups and when you are going direct it tells you to turn on the speaker simulator. Did you do that?

I had the reverse problem where things sounded good direct but like crap through amp. I was using a line 6 pedal and had some settings to change depending on your set up. Once I changed that it worked fine.

I see in the manual it shows a few different set ups and when you are going direct it tells you to turn on the speaker simulator. Did you do that?

yeah speaker sim is on and the instrument setting on the interface is on. another thing i think may be causing me problems is im using LAME to encode my wav files into mp3s and the sound quality is definitely effected when doing so. in the past whenever i recorded on a friends setup it would take a long time for it to render. could this also be part of the problem?

Encoding to MP3 can affect the overall sound, but what you are describing is a source issue - fix the problem with the sound first.
Try the guitar direct into the Saffire, without the Rocktron. If you get a clean, un-FXed sound (not fuzzy and muffled), then the problem is with the output from the Rocktron.

Encoding to MP3 can affect the overall sound, but what you are describing is a source issue - fix the problem with the sound first.
Try the guitar direct into the Saffire, without the Rocktron. If you get a clean, un-FXed sound (not fuzzy and muffled), then the problem is with the output from the Rocktron.

just gave that a try... schecter hellraiser with emg 81 85 straight into the saffire and the sound is still fuzzy. slightly distorted too and the gain setting is all the way down on the saffire.

Can't hear it, so can't even start to guess what you mean by muffled and fuzzy, but I want to ask you a question:

Do you consider your processor as an instrument? I mean, it's cool if you do. I know a lot of folks who play their pedalboards. I'm thinking, though, that the output is closer to Line level than the typical Instrument input expects.

That said, what's kinda funny is that the output from active pickups like your EMGs is more like a Line level source than an instrument!

And all that said, the only real issue with running a Line level source into an Inst input should be that it's just a little too hot. You might get some distortion, but we wouldn't expect any real tone change.

Have you tried swapping cables?

Also, you shouldn't be converting to mp3 till you're done tracking, mixing, and mastering. Unless you're really strapped for space you should keep everything as wav until you're done messing with it. If you are strapped for storage you should get some more! Terrabytes cost less than a tank of gas nowadays. Treat conversion to mp3 the same as pressing to vinyl or CD - it is a final playback medium.

The EMG 81 85 are actives and from the specc' I find that the maximum input level for the Saffire 6 is just +7dBu with the 10dB pad engaged. That is only ~1.74 volts and I am not therefore suprised that the AI is distorting.

Back off the volume on the guitar. Being active this should not rob you of any "tone" (aka HF). Alternatively you could make up an extra 10-15dB of attenuation pre the Saff 6 inputs.
Also try the guitar into the line input, it does not need to "see" a high impedance as does a passive pup.

You could try a DI box but I think the system should work as is. Balancing will not help anything.

Dave.

Back