Recording bass through guitar POD?

DaveO

I thought I remember people talking about this recently but since the search isn't available right now ... :o

I'm starting to look for a bass for recording and will also have access to a guitar-version POD soon. Has anyone had success recording bass through a POD? I'll eventually buy something like a Sans Amp Bass (have seen some good reports here lately) or a Bass POD, but if the POD will work well then I can postpone that purchase for a little while. Otherwise I'll start negotiating now to add some sort of direct box into the bass purchase.

If you want to factor in the rest of my gear, the types of music I record, etc., just let me know.

Hey DaveO,
I use the guitar POD for bass also. I am able to find sounds that I like enough to record with. If I had extra dough, I would probably get the bass POD, but for now, the guitar POD works just fine for bass.

I have some mp3's posted where I have used the guitar POD for bass, if you want to check them out:

http://gcm.iuma.com

Try Epistaxis and Squee G flat. The bass isn't the primary instrument, but you can hear how it blends anyway.

Brad

I have also recorded bass with the POD, and don't plan on getting anything else to record bass direct. It's great.

I also have just started to use pod to record bass, and I have never heard my bass sound this good.

Just got the pod recently, and I'm mighty glad I did!!!

Generally, I use the POD clean setting and the 4 x 10 cabinet to record bass. I don't use the compressor (still, my only complaint about the POD is the compressor). I will use a dbx 266 for compression after the POD and it definitely gives me all the punch I need.

Even at that, if I could swing the Bass POD into my budget, I think I would go for it. As good as a job as the guitar POD does on bass, there are bass characteristics that are lacking on the recording. Don't get me wrong--it is better then recording direct and it sounds sweet, but it just doesn't push air like a bass amp would. Think of the Beatles' songs "With a Little Help From My Friends" or "Come Together" and how they have that punchy sound yet manage to make your teeth rattle--the guitar POD cannot give you THAT. It is more akin to an acoustic bass sound. Nice, punchy, but not quite what you want to use to knock their socks off.

Hope that helps. The guitar POD will do the trick, but eventually you will want to try out the Bass POD--at least I do.

Peace, Jim

Thanks guys.

It sounds like I'm gonna have to drop the hint for Father's Day. The one I'll have access to belongs to a friend I'm starting to record with and it would be nice to still have one when that project is done.

DaveO

The Pod will do the job, and a guitarist that
lays down bass tracks because he has to will
love it. If you are serious about the quality
of you bass tracks try the bass Pod or the Sans Amp Bass Driver.

RussP
Bass player who plays Guitar

Back