Recording a Bass Digitally

Gremboid

I want to record my bass digitally (onto a GadgetLabs 824) Can I take the extra speaker output into the box or what (It's got 8ohms written next to it)?

Do I have to go direct instead?

I also have a D.I. ouput on the rear of my head. What the hells it do? Its a got a 3 pin connection socket, not like a jack.

Any help would be apreciated!

Gremboid - I imagine there must be a line-out or such on your amp. You can run that right in to your recorder - but to be safe turn the gain all the way down, plug in the cord and then raise the level. I am telling you this because I don't want you to end up putting the wrong thing in the wrong hole and end with a blown something.

I have a tree-pin line out connector on the back of my Carvin amp. I much prefer to line into my Roland VS840 this way as the sound is much more pleasing and controllable than going direct. I just slap a transformer plug at the recorder end and plug it in. I would really shy away from using a speaker-out to record with. It would seem your gain would be almost uncontrollable and the potential damage to your equipment not worth it.

Use the D.I. XLR out (three pin) for recording direct. D.I., by the way stands for direct injection, a term for plugging an istrument directly into a tape console, bypassing the use of a microphone infront of a amp/speaker setup. First used by the Beatles by the way and made famous for the sound they produced for the distorted guitar on Revolution. You can buy a mic cable with XLR on one end and a 1/4" plug on the other which illiminates the use of an adaptor which usually gives poor sound quality if it is not of high quality.

Peace, Jim

Back