Recording Acoustic Guitar...

name_goes_here

I need to record acoustic guitar for myself, at my house. This isn't a major project, it's kind of a just for fun type thing. But I still want to get the best sound I can get with the equipment I have. So this is what I have to use...

- A behringer 8 track mixer
- An AKG D112
- An Oktava MK319
- A Shure SM57

And an acoustic guitar, obviously haha. So...is there any way that I can use these mics to get a decent sound from acoustic guitar? I know that the best thing to use is small diaphragm condensers but I don't have the money right now. Any advice/tips on how to use this particular equipment to get a good acoustic guitar sound is appreciated. Thanks.

What I do is set up an SM57 in front of the acoustic hole of the guitar, slightly angled away from my playing hand. Then I simultaneously plug the guitar directly into the second channel of my mic pre-amp. Fiddle with the gain knobs a little, and I've got a great sound that captures the clear acoustic sound of the pickups and the percussive strum of the strings.

You could start with the 319 positioned as described here. Of course the rest of your signal chain will make a difference, as will your room accoustics to some degree, depending on how close you actually mic the guitar.

I've had no luck with the SM57 (actually mine is a SM58) on accoustic, but that just could just be me.

For a single mic recording crazydoc's suggestion is where I'd start. Try moving the mic in and out from 6" - 24" and see what sounds good. You might add the 57 on the bout (behind or pointing at the bridge) to pick up a more woody flavor. Pan to taste.

crazydoc said:
You could start with the 319 positioned as described here. Of course the rest of your signal chain will make a difference, as will your room accoustics to some degree, depending on how close you actually mic the guitar.

I've had no luck with the SM57 (actually mine is a SM58) on accoustic, but that just could just be me.
great link!

I pretty much agree with Crazydoc. I think the 319 is the best guitar mic you have. I also agree- Great Link! I have always liked C2000B, and the clip on that link reinforces my opinion.-Richie

last time i recorded an acoustic guitar i had a diaphragm mic at the 12th fret and the condenser parallel to the neck above the headstock, as if it were an extension of the neck looking across the entire 20 frets. it's unorthodox, but the headstock mic sounded just as clear as the 12th fret mic. although it wasn't a SM57, that much i know.

Back