rechargeable 9v (for effects)

sathyan

digital effects pedals rapidly drain batteries. while I could use ac adaptors they tend to use up 2-3 outlet spaces. I've seen many AA NiMH rechargeables but thusfar few for 9V. Do they exist? What mAh rating is required for use with guitar effect (like with Digitech MultiChorus XMC)?

thanks
sathyan

They exist. I have some made by Energizer that I use regularly in an active bass and guitar tuner. Have had no problems thus far and they pay for themselves in no time. Couldnt tell you what your Digitech requires but dont see why anything else that takes a 9V couldnt also use them.

Here are specs listed on them if its of any help:

NH22N
7.2V - 150 mAh

digital effects pedals rapidly drain batteries. while I could use ac adaptors they tend to use up 2-3 outlet spaces. I've seen many AA NiMH rechargeables but thusfar few for 9V. Do they exist? What mAh rating is required for use with guitar effect (like with Digitech MultiChorus XMC)?

thanks
sathyan

Radio Shack sells the NIMH 9 volt batteries and they seem to hold up pretty well-I know-hard to believe from RS...I have several that I use for low drain devices like overdrive pedals and they do the job okay.:)

1-spot, absolutely. dont know why you'd want it anyother way. you want your pedal to cut out in the middle of a gig?

1-spot, absolutely. dont know why you'd want it anyother way. you want your pedal to cut out in the middle of a gig?

the extra noise maybe?

I use some rechargable energizer 9 volts. they are bigger than normal 9 volt batteries and wont fit in some battery compartments. You may have the same issue, or not. I was able to get it into one of my pedals (I can't remember which right now) and then I really had to struggle to get it out.

i would NEVER use a rechargable battery in any of my pedals. with "regular" batteries you can always hear when they're starting to go (which may make things sound a little better in the case of some OD/Dist pedals).....but rechargables seem to just DIE. nothing worse than that. a little warning would be good, ya know?

here's another plug :p for the 1-Spot. the $25 or whatever i spent on it was one of the best investments i made to my rig. no increased noise that i've noticed......although i have to admit that my Jekyll and Hyde seems to sound a little better with a 9V instead of AC.

but the way the H20 eats batteries....i'd be lucky if i'd get 3 hours out of one. i recouped the "investment" in the onespot very quickly.

cheers,
wade

I've got 9 pedals running on a 1-Spot (2 of the 5-pedal adapters linked), the only time there's extra noise is when I turn a bunch of those pedals, which are noisy themselves, on.

go with the 1-spot. I have a couple and they work great and no noise.
Also ...... we measured the voltage of regular 9 volts and rechargables (this was years ago so maybe the technology has improved) and the rechargables didn't put out as much. since many pedals start to sound crappy with any voltage drop, seemed like a poor way to go for us.

musician's friend on the one spot said:
Clean up that snake's nest of cables!

And replace it with one giant hydra-mess of a cable!

Seriously though, I've got the uber adaptor cable, and it's great. I've never noticed any noise problems with it.

I only use the rechargable 9v batteries in my wireless transmitter. On my pedal board I use a One Spot.
I was using the RadioShack 9v batteries until they started making the cases different. They are slightly larger and don't fit so great. (that's what she said). I switched to the Energizer 9v and they work pretty good but I don't think they last as long as the RadShack. At least they fit. (again, that's what... ah nevermind) tap tap tap...is this thing on?

Back