Real Strat sound in a dual humbucker guitar

DropD

We have a song for which I need a REAL Strat sound, but I don't have a Strat. My main axe is a Godin LGX which is similar to a Les Paul, the pickups can be split on it but the sound is anything but convincing. My second axe is a Yamaha RGX tuned to Drop-D, fortunately I have a 3rd guitar, a Yamaha Pacifica with alder body, which is perfect for that kind of sound, except it has 2 humbuckers and no split switch, this ain't no problem, I can add a switch myself. But I've never heard a humbucker that sounded like a real singe coil. It's for a funky song, so I guess you can figure out the sound I need. I though about maybe going with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, as it is what Fender use on humbucker equipped Strats. Do you think I can get a real Strat sound out of a dual humbucker guitar? Or should I just put a real Strat single coil in that big ass hole?

[This message has been edited by DropD (edited 02-01-2000).]

I need a "full-time" Strat, I can't just borrow everytime we rehearse, record or gig. I'd buy one, but I just spent all my money on the LGX.

Thou seekest the Holy Grail, my son!

If you can find a dual-humbucker guitar that sounds like that snarky (?) in between the middle and back pickup of a Strat sound, buy it and shares in whatever company makes it.

Good luck,

foo

The sound that you are descibing can olny be achived by a three pickup strat type guitar.
I.E. the out of phase combination of the middle pickup combined with the front or rear pickup. Short of buying a Strat, wire your humbucker and switch so that when you split the pickup, you reverse the pollarity on the coil closest to the neck. Thats about as close as you can get with what you have. If you decide to buy a strat, and you want to go cheap but still have good playing guitar, look for an old Harmony strat copy. They were made in the early to late '80's and are the same quality if not better than the cheapo fenders that are out today. I found one in a local pawn shop for $75. It's the exact size as a real strat & plays well. I've recorded with and I've been happy with the pick ups--they're cheap single coils and
have a low output but also have that classic thin strat tone and sound good out of phase.

The infamous strat sound does only come from a strat config. Bought one just for recording
(am a Bass player really) but I got one with a bridge humbucker so I could get more out of it.

Ah! But there IS a fine hand-built (and rather expensive, too) humbucker out there that'll do this Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde job quite well... It's the Barden Two Tone Humbucker. Info from the Joe Bardens website below:

THE HB TWO/TONE (this is a large humbucker -- GH)
-------------------
The HB Two/Tone is the regular HB (see below) with taps brought out, providing an alternate (and easily wired!) tone that is shockingly close to that of a single-coil pickup (virtually identical to the S-Deluxe in tone, output and absence of noise). This sound renders series/parallel and split-coil modes completely archaic and totally obsolete. The full (non-tapped) sound of the Two/Tone is exactly that of the HB, natural,balanced, and clear, with seemingly endless sustain.

THE HB (this is a large humbucker -- GH)
-------------------
The HB is designed for players who are looking for a monstrous improvement in tone, sensitivity and output, without being saddled with an inherently distorted or muddy sound. Wound separately for either neck or bridge, the incredible low-end clarity and overall high sustain characteristic of the HB makes it suitable for virtually any purpose,from blues to rock to jazz.

THE S-STYLE DELUXE (a "fine "blade" style Stratocaster pickup -- GH)
-------------------
The S-Style Deluxe is our top of the line "S-Style" pickup. Companion to the Danny Gatton pickup (the "T-Style"), the tone of the S-style Deluxe is absolutely vintage, output is high, with hum and noise completely eliminated. This pickup is incredibly sensitive, giving you a wide range of tones and output levels simply by adjusting the height of the pickup. With this set-up the neck pickup is too bluesy for words, the "in-between" settings are wonderfully hollow, and the bridge pickup has the strength, response and twang typically reserved only for Teles. The unique staggered-blade design of the bridge pickup,common in all Joe Barden bridge pickups, eliminates drop-outs on the outer strings.

For further details, see:
http://www.joebarden.com/

PS: You could just about buy a decent Mexico-made Strat for the price of these fabulous pickups.

Back