Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick suggestion needed

Thanks

Quick suggestion needed

Sign in to disable this ad
    Gonna buy an electric. Around $400 to spend. Whats the way to go? I do soft rock and acoustic rock. I use Roland Micro Cube.

Thanks
    used Hamer or mexican strat.

Thanks
    Depends on the sounds you like. I have played Strats for years and years, I had 5 at a time a little bit ago. But I'm down to 2 because I discovered how much I like Gibsons now. I just get a bigger fuller sound. Strats have that sound they do, but I think for an all out good guitar sound you'll be happier with something like an Epi Les Paul. You can get them used for under that.

There are 2 important factors. The neck. A set neck is very very different from a bolted on neck. It sounds different and it plays different. Just remember there aren't ant bolt neck fine violins The other is the pickups. Single coils v/s humbuckers. Humbuckers just have a bigger stronger output and a fuller sound. They're not as bright on the top end, generally, and they're more even throughout the tonal spectrum.

Whatever you get, keep in mind that you'll get a whole lot more for your money buying used. I never buy new guitars any more.

H2H

Thanks
    Thanks guys.

I just went over the Hamer guitars.. 'wow' is the word I said. It seems like a great stuff. I was just wondering if the cheper priced models are also hand-made at the same place where the 'coupla-thousands' ones??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by traidma
    Gonna buy an electric. Around $400 to spend. Whats the way to go? I do soft rock and acoustic rock. I use Roland Micro Cube.

So I take it you mostly play acoustic?

Many acoustic players seem to like Telecasters.

Thanks
    Samick Ultramatic UM-4

It basically a PRS clone that looks and plays like the real thing, but you can get one for about $425 if you shop around. This guitar is like butta, baby. It can't be beat for the money.

BTW.... yes, I do own one.

Another good guitar for the money is the Godin Freeway Classic. You can get one for under $400 (with free shipping) right now on Ebay. I haven't played one yet, but the reviews have been phenomenal and Godin's are always top-notch axes.
    Last edited by Buck62; 12-24-2004 at 00:17.
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jellyside down.

A cat glued to some jelly toast will hover in quantum indecision.

Thanks

Agile 2800

Hi, neighbor.

Check these out. I haven't used one, but I am sure intriqued. (Add in $ for case and shipping.)

http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar-ss4.html

Thanks
    Thanks guys.

I just went over the Hamer guitars.. 'wow' is the word I said. It seems like a great stuff. I was just wondering if the cheper priced models are also hand-made at the same place where the 'coupla-thousands' ones??

No, they're not. The USA Hamers are great, indeed, and made in Hamer's custom shop in the US. The cheaper ones are imported from Korea. The US Hamers are awesome. I find the imports so-so, on par with Epis for the most part.

Check out what Buck says. Something to keep in mind. Samick makes about 80% of the import guitars anyways, so it's logical to think when they put their own name on it they may put a little something extra into the guitar. I think they're a viable choice to any import guitar, their main drawback being they're kind of hard to find sometimes in stores.

H2H

Thanks
    Thanks guys.

I wouldn't buy one new. They lose a lot of value, which is where you can take advantage of by buying used. They are better made knock-offs of Gibsons.

check out this deal: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...769870260&rd=1

or this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...770782246&rd=1

and I'm keeping an eye on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

Thanks
    I'm normally a hardcore Tele guy (Fenders in general) but a year ago I picked up a Shecter PT custom. It's cut like a Tele but has the carved top with flamed maple PRS look. The sound is the thing I love about this guitar. It had Duncan pickups with the coil taps so you can switch between humbuckers and single coil sound. I love the tone possibilities of this guitar and it's pretty sharp too.

Thread Information