SenryokuZokyoza

This one´s for the guys using Pod and Pod pro. I´ve
always read about Pod in magazines and stuff, so I decided
to buy one to my self (I´ve always recorded my guitar with
a SM58 pointing to my Peavey bandit, which always gave me
a acceptable good guitar sound). Then I bought my Pod pro
(so I would be able to record that guitat in the middle of
night without waking the neighbours). I connect my Pod pro
directly to my Digi001 S/PDIF digital input.

It seems that I just can´t find a decent guitar sound using
my Pod. I´m really not sure about using those cabinet options
or just by-passin it. When I use the cabinet modeling option,
the sound seems to blurry and muddy. When I by-pass it, the
sound becomes too much dry, "digital" and annoying.

My question for the people using POD is: Do you guys use
cabinet modeling while recording with Pod Pro? Or not?
Does it have any connection with that "live/studio" key?
Mine is set to "studio".

Thanks for your attention.

I don't have a POD or POD Pro, but my POD XT will be here Monday, my plan is for recording 'til I get a good cab is to use the built in cabinet modelling. And for live shows cabs will be disabled as I'll play through a real guitar cab.

I know most people that use the POD units if direct recording and not just using it as a pre-amp use the cabinet modelling. Unless they send the POD to some speakers in their home (monitors, pa systems, cabs) and still mic them.

Not to promote another forum - but you may want to check out www.podtalk.com - I saw it on the tonetransfer stuff. It's obviously new but several members on there that seem to know their PODs pretty well.

SenryokuZokyoza said:
This one´s for the guys using Pod and Pod pro. I´ve
always read about Pod in magazines and stuff, so I decided
to buy one to my self (I´ve always recorded my guitar with
a SM58 pointing to my Peavey bandit, which always gave me
a acceptable good guitar sound). Then I bought my Pod pro
(so I would be able to record that guitat in the middle of
night without waking the neighbours). I connect my Pod pro
directly to my Digi001 S/PDIF digital input.

It seems that I just can´t find a decent guitar sound using
my Pod. I´m really not sure about using those cabinet options
or just by-passin it. When I use the cabinet modeling option,
the sound seems to blurry and muddy. When I by-pass it, the
sound becomes too much dry, "digital" and annoying.

My question for the people using POD is: Do you guys use
cabinet modeling while recording with Pod Pro? Or not?
Does it have any connection with that "live/studio" key?
Mine is set to "studio".

Thanks for your attention.

Go to their website and download patches that people have created, and load them via MIDI. Those patches are often named after artists, so, that should give you a good starting point.

Personally, I start with factory presets, bypass the effect and look for something that's somewhat close to what I want, then start changing the cab, then the distortion nub to get either cleaner tone or more distortion, then the tone nubs. if non of them sound good, I move on to the next preset.

one thing tho, things usually sound sharper/thinner on headphones, so, you might have actually skipped some nice settings when you search with heaphones.

Hope this helps.

Al

I use the POD Pro in several ways. First, you can get great sounds out of it with practice, but downloading scenes will give you some great starting points. I use the POD 3 ways:
1. S/PDIF out to the digital in on a Roland VS1824CD. I'm told some PODs don't work with some Roland products, but mine has never had a problem clocking. Then you want studio mode, cab model engaged, and you can try different cab models. I'll admit I do this rarely, as I prefer the options that follow.
2. I jack the balanced analog line out by TRS to a Carver PM125 power amp, bridged to 8 ohm mono, and then to a Marshall cab, and mic it like any other amp. Disable the cab model, live mode.
3. This is really cool- Take 1 or both XLR line outs to the XLR line ins of 1 or 2 powered reference monitors. I find one works better- less phase problems, and I can use the other monitor to review for tracking purposes. You can put one mic on the woofer and one on the tweeter, or use a single mic backed off a foot or 2. Leave the cab model engaged- live mode. The flat response of the monitors will reproduce the cab model damn accurately at a much lower volume with almost no discernable noise floor. Try that, and then tell me if it sounds "muddy".-Richie

Thanks dudes. This helps me. I've discovered the wonderful world of ToneTransfer... but seems like my POD has a problem with the midi connections.. :( I'm taking it to service. Thanks.

Back