Question about power supply for my DD-20

JuicyDbase

So I have had my DD-20 for about a year now, which I love oh so dearly. They gave me a LiveWire power supply rated at 9v and 200ma, which is what my DD-20 is rated for. A while ago the power supply went out so I have been searching for a 9v 200ma power supply. This pedal is not a normal pedal, it is larger, and could have a different voltage appetite. I went to guitar center today and asked if they had a 9v power supply at 200ma and the girl said "oh yeah, here is the boss psa-120T series, this series is made for pedals. So like a fool I trusted her, and when I got home THEN I finally decided to check the voltage ratings on the power supply and I read... 9.6v! not the specified 9v in the specifications manual, the ma were correct, just not the voltage. Long story too long, everything in my small electronics knowledge tells me to get the correct power supply, but then I think about the company making this psa-120T series and if it really is made for all of their pedals. Anybody who has a large knowledge in electronics, please help me out. I want the best and correct power supply for my DD-20 because I paid quite a bit of money for it. Thank you so much.

- Gavin

Most effect units and other devices will have regulating diodes in the circuit to clamp excessive voltage from damaging the units. Wall wart adapters are usually not very well filtered though-so I cannot blame you for being wary of the unit..if you are concerned you should probably seek out an original replacement adapter.

I have to agree, get the relevant boss adapter. If you visit there website, I think you can downlaod a PDF on replacemnt and expansion parts.

So I had a chance to finally get to talk to my dad about it. He has quite a bit of knowledge in electronics. We got out the volt meter and found out that the 9.6v adapter actually was only 9.54, and basically that it will fluctuate between .5v. Also finding out that it is a regulated power supply. So that cleared it up that it is okay. I guess they make this generic psa-series so that they do not have to produce many other models of power supplies for other products, since adapters will have different results, and apparently it is the ma that matter the most. I still wish that they would throw in the power supply for pedals, expensive ones at least. Thanks for your help guys.

- Gavin

dirtythermos said:
It won't hurt it. A brand-new 9v battery has about a 9.35 volt charge on it.

Not to worry. Most chips that are designed for a 9V supply will operate just fine on a couple or more extra volts.

Back