Poor recording sound

Sabbath

I know this has been covered at least 1000 times, but now its my turn. I'm not new to guitars or computers, but recording it new to me. It should be simple, plug my Peavey T60 guitar into my Marshall VS30R. Plug my amps line-out to my computers line-in (SoundBlaster Live Value) Then record from the line in. When I record using this method I have much noise. It over powers the guitar. When I play what I've recorded, its very faint and very noisy. I seem to get the best results from mic'ing my amp. Which brings me to my next question, I'm using the mic that came with the computer. What mic should I be using to get the best sound on my computer? Small budget, small results.

Thanks a bunch,
Sabbath

Hey Sabbath,

I see your still having that little problem from the chat room so Ill just refresh.

First, DONT use the mic from the computer for your mic. Dont even put it in the mic in. Get a used SM57 from ebay (bout 60-80$ depending on what kinda deal ya find) and plug it into the line in on your soundcard.

You said that the buzzing was the biggest problem and since your using an instrument with single coils the issue is more likely than not a grounding one.

Like we said playing close to a turned on computer or monitor will cause a huge humming and buzzing so try to get as far as you can AND try to angle the guitar in the position it makes the least amount of noise due to the PC.

Another is to make sure its pluged in the right way. If the ground prong is were the hot should be youll have a buzz problem. Like I said see if you can locate a polarity switch on your amp. All the amps I own have one in some form somewhere but thats not to say yours definitly does.

Like I said try getting a ground adapter for your plug the ones that look like a three pronged outlet plug with the third prong missing.

When you plug your guitar directly into the computer the output is going to be very small so either run it through the amp first or get a DI box or transformer to boost the signal. The weaker the signal the more noise in your noise/signal ratio. Thats not to say that blasting it is a good idea but just make sure the signals hot enough.

Oh, and, single coiled guitars are always gonna be more noisy than humed guitars so dont shoot for complete silence, just a tolerable level.

Let me know how you make out :)

If it sounds too faint, it seems like you might just need to bring up the volume. Pull up the Windows soundcard mixer, go to PROPERTIES & choose recording(instead of the default PLAYBACK) turn UP the LINE IN, turn OFF the mic input (and any other inputs you don't need).You might also check to make sure that you have the full duplex enabled...Also guitar amps are equalized for the large speakers (no tweeters like your stereo) they have a lot of extra high end that you won't hear thru the 12" speakers, but you will hear when you use the line out into a stereo or computer. Line outs are usually excessively crisp & buzzy and not suitable for recording without some EQ. Try a decent mic or check out a POD or one of the new modeling floor effects units from DOD, Digitech, Korg, & Boss. I have a Digitech RP2000 that sounds great for recording direct, although it takes a bit of time to get it tweaked to sound good since the factory presets pretty much suck.

I think if you wanna be cheap about it go to Radio Shack (or a pawn shop) and buy one of of those little mic/line mixers. Download a shareware multitrack software program (like n-track). Keep your mic,or buy a better one at Radio Smack or something cheap. And mess around with recording both line out and miked amp at the same time, if you pan them left and right you can record them on separate tracks and adjust the levels and stuff. But my drummer recently found shure sm-57's on the net for $30.00! It was a super special sale, but look around,this probably is the best mic for recording guitar on a budget. Personally, I would never use a line out of an amp, and I get tired of reading about people on this bbs that try to get a good sound with this method, I mean come on!

That would explain a couple things, but as for the noise I'm getting, I think its a grounding problem. The signal only sounds faint because of all the noise (Heavy BUZZ) over powering the guitar. Its so bad.... ;) the $10 mic that came with the computer sounds 1000% better! I just want to be able to go from amp line out to computer line in and have an OK sound. I get one channel and tonz of BUZZ. I figured out why one one channel, just need to find a fix. I'm not looking for the perfect environment with no noise, just wanna lay down some tracks man!

What would be the best choice (on little to no budget) for what I would need in between the amp and the computer? (mic/mixers/etc)

Thanks for the info.

Sabbath

Sabbath,

You will not get a good sound using the line out on your amp directly to your soundcard. You're basically just sending the preamp'ed signal out which isn't supposed to sound good on its own. To prove this to yourself, plug some headphones into your amp....sound like crap? It should.

This is why they make DI boxes. If you don't want a DI box, then you need a microphone and a mic preamp. These are your only viable options. And don't say that you don't need it to sound good...because that attitude will only last about 10 minutes once you realize how good you could sound!

Slackmaster 2000

I'll take any advise as good advice at this point. Treat me like I'm new, I am. ;) Been play guitar for about 13 years now and just now decided I'd like to record. So, I don't know all the recording/equiptment terms. Are there any other mics that sound good enough for 'home' recording. (Ones that plug in to the line-in.) Its been suggested to use SM-57 or SM-58, but I can't afford $100+ bucks at the moment. Not that its not worth it, just don't have it.

You are right, it lasted 10 minutes. I wanna sound better, just don't need pro sound at pro prices. ;)

Would a cheap fostex or tascam multi-track recorder help to solve my problems? Would I go from amp line-out to recorder, then recorder to line-in on sound card?
What, what is it I need...

Thanks a again everyone

Sabbath

"Personally, I would never use a line out of an amp, and I get tired of reading about people on this bbs that try to get a good sound with this method, I mean come on"

Ok, Ok, I get the point. I guess the line-out isn't what *I* thought it was for. Also, if I could find a mic that cheap I would have bought it too. :)))
I do use n-track 2.0, its nice. I just need to get it reg'ed, the "NAG" boxes are driving me insane!

Thanks for the info.

Sabbath

Okay, if I hear you right, you have no mixer, right? I recommend that you go to a pawn shop or log onto ebay.com and get something like a Rockman (developed by Tom Scholz of Boston and used almost exclusive on the Third Stage album) These pocket amps are pretty cool and get decent sound. Used, you should be able to get one for under $70 easily. Actually, even new they can be had for about $70 - 100. They will have a line out that will give you some nice sound that has speaker and cabinet emulation and often, even some sound effects. Of course, there is another good question to ask, do you have any rack effects for your guitar? These often have line outs that give a decent sound to send to your sound card. It might require an adapter or a cable that allows you to go from 1/4" to a 1/8" jack (the size on most sound cards.

The pocket amp might just do what you want and the effects might be a good alternative. I don't think a DI is what you are after if you don't have a mixer. If you do have a mixer, just get a used mic at a pawn shop or go to Radio Shack and pick up when of their mics. They are made by Shure and are decent (though, not the same as other Shures). But hey, they are good for the money they cost.

You cannot go from mic to your sound card without a mixer or preamp.

Peace, Jim

Those little $10 mics that come with your computer or soundcard are not that bad actually--and I say this using all kinds of mics for all kinds of things. If you're really strapped for cash, try setting it in front of your amp and go for it. Play with some different positions. Ya never know until you try it...

I would definitly agree on the purchase of a Shure SM 57 - i got mine on ebay for £40 and it records instrument and vocal extremely well and reduces noise very efficiently. Also it may pay to use a break-out box for recording your audio through - again - ebay. Another suggestion would be to read up on the physics of sound and waves and try and figure out how your recording software can help reduce noise and how you can manipulate sounds with it's features.

Hope this helps. Lee

I think the whole point got missed here since everyone hates the Line Out on amps.

What is happening is that your Line Out is a line level signal and needs to get a Line In for it to sound like the Line Out is supposed to sound like. Now yes, it will be a little harsh, and not as acoustic as a mic, but it shouldn't sound 'faint'. That is not a term I have ever heard used for crummy DI sounds. ;)

But DI'ing isn't as bad as everyone says....its not a mic, but its not unusable if you ask me. It is still home recording at this point.

Slackmaster2K said:
Sabbath,

You will not get a good sound using the line out on your amp directly to your soundcard. You're basically just sending the preamp'ed signal out which isn't supposed to sound good on its own. To prove this to yourself, plug some headphones into your amp....sound like crap? It should.
Slackmaster 2000

Well, lets clear some stuff up here. Maybe for guitar a line out signal by itself sucks. Other line outs amps such as bass amps can sound great by themselves.

frankieballsss said:
Well, lets clear some stuff up here. Maybe for guitar a line out signal by itself sucks. Other line outs amps such as bass amps can sound great by themselves.

Of course. But that is bass. Bass DI'd is a gajillion times better than guitar DI'd.

Who pulled this moldy old thread out of mothballs? It was started almost 6 years ago. The guy that started the thread hasn't posted since the year 2000.

Back