Poll: Best Bass Tones..and worst?

clifchamb

We have looked at players, let's just analyze tone. Especially given all the current questions about toen on this board. Her is my humble offering:

(in no order or importance)

Eddie Jackson Queesryche: "Damaged" off of Promised land CD just dirty and mean as well as punchy and huge I heard he used a P-bass for that track I asked him how he got that tone and he says the producer did all th tone work which meant that he pretty much did not know what was going on when he layed bass tracks. His tone on EMpire and Operation Mindcrime also rule.

Stevie Vai "Bad Horsie" from Alien Love Secrets-again I heard he used his wifes P-bass how di he get that tone you know at the biggining with just the drums.

Steve Harris Iron Maiden any song - another P-bass guy. WHo would think that he gets that tone with flat-wound strings?

John Paul Jone's "What is and should never be" Led Zep 2 - P bass? Hmm either way his tone is kinda boomy but it sure dominates the song.

Bill Gould (?) "Epic" Faith No More--oh man I love this album just to hear his edgy barfy "DARK" tone

Geedy Lee: "Cool Fire" from Counterparts Album very thick and punchy

Duran Duran's bassist (?) "Hungry Like a WOlf" Nice mid range punchy one that caters to both finger as well as slap style in that song
==============================================
COOL AND WEIRD TONES:

Boosty Collins: um three differnt amp signals, 2 million effects enough said

Les Claypool: Strange frettles slap stuff, very trippy and sometimes unpleasant (in a good way)

Fieldy - Korn-very unique tone kinda clicky and percussive

===============================================
Those are a few now to some of my not so fav tones:

Jason's newstead THE ENTIRE METALLICA AND JUSTICE FOR ALBUM-this is just an embarrassment to bass players everywhere. I great example of how a producer can kill the bas inorder to make way for other instruments and frequencies.

Billy SHeehan-just kinda messy to me lots of mids but not enough punch for me

Micheal Anthony Van Halen-5150 and OU812 another two albums missing bass parts or too much bass synth washout parts

Geedy Lee on Rush's Presto Love the album but his bass tone is not up to what I usually expect from him.

Thats all I can think of now.

Last question..what contributes to bass tone the most?

Fingers? Pick style (if applicable)? Pickups? Bass? Amp?

My vote is fingers on both hands. With attacak and muting etc it is challnging to come up with your own individual bas signature sound.

clif

no matter what bass I pick up, it keeps sounding like me
(up to you to decide if that's good or not :p )

Herwig

Chris Squire and Geddy have always had tones I really dig. I think it's the combination of Rics, a bit of overdrive, and some strong fingers going mad on those strings. Geddy on The Trees is classic. Squires YesII tone was pretty ballsy, 90512 and Big Generator, older stuff of course.

Kim Deal had killa tone.

DeadPoet said:
no matter what bass I pick up, it keeps sounding like me
(up to you to decide if that's good or not :p )

Herwig

I think that is great!

clif

yeah a little overdrive can take a bass tone into the strataspere!

Okay, clifchamb, I'll play.

Hmm, where to begin? Well, how about. . .

Cliff Burton on any of Metallica's first three, but especially on Kill 'Em All. "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth" is especially mind-blowing.

D. D. Verni on Overkill's Under the Influence album. Great punch, easily distinguishable.

Geddy Lee — wow, so many from which to choose. I'll pick Side 1 from 2112 and Side 1 from Moving Pictures. I was gonna focus on just a song or two on the latter, but I couldn't leave any out.

Geezer Butler's tone on the forgotten "Slipping Away" (from Mob Rules) is awesome.

Dave Hope's bass tone on "Carry On Wayward Son" is nice and thick without being muddy. Great bassline, too.

I'm sure I'll have more later, but here ya go for now!

Re: Okay, clifchamb, I'll play.

beaverbiscuit said:
Hmm, where to begin? Well, how about. . .

Cliff Burton on any of Metallica's first three, but especially on Kill 'Em All. "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth" is especially mind-blowing.

D. D. Verni on Overkill's Under the Influence album. Great punch, easily distinguishable.

Geddy Lee — wow, so many from which to choose. I'll pick Side 1 from 2112 and Side 1 from Moving Pictures. I was gonna focus on just a song or two on the latter, but I couldn't leave any out.

Geezer Butler's tone on the forgotten "Slipping Away" (from Mob Rules) is awesome.

Dave Hope's bass tone on "Carry On Wayward Son" is nice and thick without being muddy. Great bassline, too.

I'm sure I'll have more later, but here ya go for now!

Cool I'll check some of those out:)

How about Frank Bello from Anthrax (P-Bass player?) has some cool tones on some of their more recent stuff circa 1990's

Re: Okay, clifchamb, I'll play.

beaverbiscuit said:

Good call, Dave Hope did have some nice tone. And he's definitely a guy who doesn't get enough credit.

WOOHOO, finally! P-Bass goodness. Its not the amps, the effects, the added-on producer crap. its the player. it comes down to the fingers that are slappin and a pluckin away. its all about chops. and the ablity to move your fingers so ungodly fast you can make pretty music.

freak

Definetly honorable mentions

The bass player from Fishbone:Sounds like the Tazmanian Devil playing slap bass!!!..... Flea:Come on .... That's a funky white boy whether you like the chili peppers or not! Daryl Jennifer(Bad Brains):Awesome punchy tone incredibly tight playing!!!! Kim Deal:The Godmother of alternative music changing the role of bass playing in modern music.... .... If you don't know then check out early Pixies albums Tony Levin(King Crimson, Peter Gabriel): If you don't know then check out King Crimson"dicipline" or Peter Gabriel "So" for a whole different world of bass playing!!! Doug Pinnick(King's X): Not a fan of that tone generally but Doug got it right with his dirgy growling metallic tone

Back