POD sale...

I'm sure that this is for the "old" POD. Version 2 just was released. But, hey, and this is cool, buy the "old" POD (ver 1.4) now and Line 6 will send you the new chip for free. It gives you four more amp models and gives you access to many (but not all) of the deep editing functions from the POD--no computer needed for some of the most important editing functions. I heard about the upgrade and e-mailed Line 6 (good customer service ther, btw) and they said that the upgrade is free only to folks who bought the POD in the couple of months. So if you haven't bought one, now is the time get 'em cheap and upgrade for free. If you bought yours a while ago, Line 6 sales the chip for $60, but I know my local music store can get it for $45. I'm sure some of the web stores might have them for about the same.

Peace, Jim

Guys,

I have been hearing about POD this and POD that for a while.

I have been using Mesa amps for over 20 years now, and for all that time I have been hearing 'It sounds just like a Boogie' - 'It sounds better than a Boogie' etc about every new thing coming down the pike - and without fail, they don't sound 'just like a Boogie'.

I also have two original Blackface amps.

I went to the Line 6 Website and listened to some sounds, but couldn't really tell - although what I heard sounded pretty good, at least enough to merit further investigation.

Is there anyone on this board who has a Boogie or a Vibrolux Reverb or a Pro Reverb who has used a POD to record and found that it sounds great?

Please post your comments and any recommendations here and help me out.

Thank you, thank you

foo

If you take the POD for what it's worth and forget about which model you're supposedly playing through it's a great device. The black panel model is especially gnarly...I *love* it...does it sound like a black panel? I dunno and I don't care. You should go on down to the music store and play through a POD and see what kind of sounds you can get. You will not under any circumstances get the same exact sound you're getting now...you should expect a *different* but great sound.

Man it only took me about 30 seconds and I had to buy it. I had the biggest frickin smile on my face. All these sounds out of a $250 box. Man!

Here, I recorded some sounds for ya. These rhythm tracks right away when I bought the POD. Both the bass and rhythm guitar are done with the POD (bass on POD Clean and rhythm on Tweed Blues).

Then I recorded a two part solo for ya just a few seconds ago (taking absolutely NO time to setup!)...the first part is done with the default Mesa RECTIFIER setting, and the second part is done with the default Fender Black Panel setting. Both of these can be set without using the software. I had reverb at half, drive at half, bass at 8, middle at 6, and treble at 10 for both. My guitar is an '80 Les Paul Custom with original pickups....used the bridge pickup with tone controls at 10 (treble). Cables were junk, soundcard is junk.

I don't like playing with the rectifier cause it's just too smooth and offers too much sustain...so it doesn't really fit well for what I do. The black panel sound is pretty good though.

Disclaimer: I am a suckoid guitar player. I just wanted to give you an idea of what can be done in VERY little time (e.g. turn on and hit record). I only applied EQ and reverb to the drums for some life...everything else...and I mean EVERYTHING else is pure, unadulterated, 100% POD. :)

Over 3MB at 128kbps, sorry:

Slackmaster 2000

Okay, I'm convinced. I gotta go to my local store and check one out.

... and Slack, you are not a suckoid guitar player. Sound a little like Sam Houston Andrew on Big Brother and the Holding Company's 'Cheap Thrills'

Thanks,

foo

I just got a pod 2.0. Best money I have spent in some time, and it was. I don't really care what amp it's trying to copy, it just sounds great. And it's quiet.

My first song with pod, is at.
www.idrive.com
visit idrive> pasword gtmuse
Song "Haunt"

Listen to my electric guitar, Podified.

Foo:
I have a Boogie and a POD...you're right and S2K is right. No it doesn't sound exactly like a boogie, but you can get some great sounds out of it. My Boogie is in my closet right now 'cuz I had to move into an apt. for a while. The POD serves up good convenient tone, at low volumes, without mics, lotsa variety with the twist of a knob or click of a mouse, takes up much less space, and doesn't wake the little guy out of his coveted (from my perspective) slumber. But damn I miss my amp. :)

dmc

[This message has been edited by dmcsilva (edited 05-17-2000).]

Okay Sam, what the hell have you done with Janis?

[This message has been edited by monty (edited 05-21-2000).]

As much as I hate to Pi$$ on anyones fireworks. I bought a POD and I was very disapointed and have hardly used it. It just doesn't do it for me at all. Although it is a very conveineint direct recording tool, a mic'd amp sounds so much better IMHO and worth the extra hassle.

Back