POD Live -- Theory vs. Application

MrLip

I don't own a POD yet. But I might in the near future. Now, I was wondering:

In theory, for live shows whether in halls, pubs, stadiums, whatever, you could just plug your POD into the PA and wouldn't need an amp at all. (I think).

I was wondering if anyone has actually tried this and how well it works.

You can do this, and it sounds ok, and with the floorboard, you get a lot of flexability.

Now the down sides -
1. You look like a wuss without an amp - seriously though, be sure you have a good monitor system. Also, the pod doesn't have XLR out (the Pod Pro does, I think) so at one place I played, I needed to go to radio shack and buy an XLR - 1/4 adapter before the show!
2. No dynamic distortion changes - the pedal board boosts distortion, but it doesn't go from clean to ultrafuzz (a la Smells like Teen Spirit) - but that's kind of getting old anyway
3. Patch changes aren't really instantous. If you kill the delay, it can take .5 seconds to come on or off, and if you don't do it exactly right, it can sound hokey

But yes you can do it. I'll do it again at an acoustic/electric show tonight

Russ Brown http://ruebarb.tripod.com

Oh shit you mean there's a delay from the footswitch? Oh man I hate that shit.

"2. No dynamic distortion changes - the pedal board boosts distortion, but it doesn't go from clean to ultrafuzz (a la Smells like Teen Spirit) - but that's kind of getting old anyway"

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean you can only increase gain and not change modes (or however the pod works)? How about changing effects settings from the food switch? Can I have one channel Clean+Reverb and another channel Dist+Delay and switch between them from the footpedal?

"You look like a wuss without an amp " hahahaha. I never thought about that. I thought that it might be kinda cool to have a little red butt shaped thing instead of a typical amp rig.

[This message has been edited by MrLip (edited 03-23-2000).]

You can change settings, but you have to deal with the delay before it actually kicks in.
Gain changes are smoother than that.
Just get a box and make it look like a Mesa Boogie amp......
Nobody will know it's just a prop... :)

Hey, you could get two BIG boxes and make em' look like a Marshall Stack...

All the sound - without the hernia!! :)

About the clean->disto, it's supposed to be that way, the distortion "effect" just give you a slight boost in drive. What you want to do is to go from a clean preset to a distorted preset. This way you can go from a fenderesque clean sound with reverb and chorus and jump to a fully overdrived Dual Rectifier with no effects.

Sorry guys, I'm still a little confused.

So how bad is the delay when switching between presets from the footswitch?

Is there just a delay from the time you step on the footswitch to the time when the preset actually changes? If so, how long? Is there just a delay or does it drop-out as well?

[This message has been edited by MrLip (edited 03-26-2000).]

Back