POD ideas Please

4ever

What POD overdrive sound do you use for what purpose? ie. what do you use for power chords and what for "licks", etc.? Factory preset only please.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by 4ever (edited 04-30-2000).]

4ever,

that is really a very open ended question. But I use the rectifier alot for chords--it gives my strat nice thick chords, and yet I still get the highs to come through. For lead I like 1A and 1D alot, I adjust the delay effec to the purpose of the song. If I'm playing blues/jazz the black face and tweed blues are good. I use POD Clean for bass. I could go on, but the page would go on forever. I must say, don't limit yourself to just the basic factory presets. Play with the knobs--ALOT. And, even it means buying a computer used and cheap, hook the POD up to a computer and use the SoundDiver software. This will also allow you to download sound libraries from Line 6. Heck, obviously you don't need to buy a computer since your posting on the internet. $25 will get you a MIDI connector to go into your soundcard's joystick plug so you can unlock the magic of this great device. The interface (computer screen) that allows you to play with the inside of your POD is just cool to look at and is very easy to use.

Peace, Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Marquard (edited 05-01-2000).]

Jim,
Thank you so much for the response. I've written a few songs and now I'm getting ready to put them together. I consider myself more to be a music writer, and eventhough I don't have much problems with keyboards tracks, I need help in the form of ideas in some areas. That's where you come in. I asked POD factory presets just because I want to get a general idea and it's easy to check things out without having to download. Downloading from Line6 is not a problem for me since I have all the facilities. I wish I could hear from others too. Again thank you very much.

Although I hate to give them any free advertising, GuitarWorld magazine features about 6 well-known Rock songs in each issue, with the exact POD settings for the guitar parts in each song.
Everything from The Who, Zeppelin, and the Stones to the most current Alternative and Metal. That might give you some tonal ideas to work with.

Does the quality of the guitar you plug into the POD have much effect on the sound it produces? For example, is a $1500 Fender going to really sound better than a $300 Yamaha? Will humbuckers sound different than single coils?

Well to cheat the guitar gods you could run the pod through a really really really crappy amp. Then no matter what you put through it, they would all sound crappy and the same regardless of model and price.....

just a thought, though dumb...
mike

I got a pod a few weeks ago, and I too am partial to the rectified settings for power chords and some solos. I play alot of heavier blues flavored stuff and rectified gives me sustain without having to turn the "drive" way up. I don't usually use the presets though. I also like the Brit Hi Gain, I think thats what its called, for some of the clean rythms, it can be kinda bright so you may have to add some low end somewhere in the EQ chain. In regards too humbuckers vs single coils, I'll second DMCsilva with another, definitely. I played a Gibson for years, but had to have single coils for some songs. They cut through the rest of the music, not really technical language but, particularly on rythms. The humbuckers give a muddier sound, but can be great for certain songs and certain types of music. As far as far getting away with a cheap guitar, well I've been playing a $186 Squire for about the last 8 years and it suffices for live shows, I've even had people tell me "it sounds more like a strat than my strat" but I'm paying for it now, trying to record with it. Its starting to show its warts. I probably wouldn't by any other of the cheaper guitars other than a Squire.

Back