Please explain guitar size... i.e. Scale

Easto

Although I've been playing for some 30 or so years there are several terms regarding guitars that I've never bothered understanding. The one that I'm curious about is "scale". I see various manufacturers describing the necks as 25.5 etc.

Can someone please let me know, in simple terms, does this mean the neck is shorter, are there tonality changes or in what way the different sizes affect the sound.

Thanks
Easto

Scale length is the vibrating length of the string. It is traditionally defined as the distance between the nut and the 12th fret X 2 (with a compensated bridge the scale length would be different for each string if you measured from nut to saddle). Gibson typically uses 24.75" for the Les Paul models and other electrics; Fender likes 25.5"; Martin uses both, and PRSmith uses 25".

lpdeluxe said:
Scale length is the vibrating length of the string. It is traditionally defined as the distance between the nut and the 12th fret X 2 (with a compensated bridge the scale length would be different for each string if you measured from nut to saddle). Gibson typically uses 24.75" for the Les Paul models and other electrics; Fender likes 25.5"; Martin uses both, and PRSmith uses 25".

Actually, Martin scales are 25.4 inches (long) and 24.9 Inches (short), and the Gibson sclae length is actually 24.65 inches.

Scale length is one of those frequently overlooked things when people buy guitars. It has a major impact on the shape of the sound, and also on the feel of the guitar. A longer scale length requires greater tension to reach pitch, so they are correspondingly harder to play. Similarly, a short scale guitar requires less tension to reach pitch, and so they are easier to play.

The thing which always surprises me, however, is just how much of an impact on sound the scale length has. My father describes it like this; when you play a chord, a short scale guitar sounds like a choir singing, and a long scale guitar sounds like a group of soloists singing together. They are both cool, but quite different. Depending on what kind of music you play, and the sound you are after, each has its place.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back