Playing what you like

ahhhhh ............. well that sucks. They have a music festival here in Deland that wanted me to do that .... pay an entrance fee and then I'd get 'paid' with tickets.
I had no idea what the hell it was ...... I just laughed and told them they had to be kidding!
I really was clueless that this is common.
:eek:

Sounds like they leave it up to you to do their marketing for them.

We always played a mixture - what we liked, but also what we thought our clientele would like. We also always attempted to play requests. Our audience appreciated that and we were very popular (and always employed!)

When I played professionally, we used a booking agent. They required a set list, equipment list, and promo photo to market and book you at clubs. There was a 'bread and butter' set list most rock clubs expected but you could always throw in some originals or a few off-the-beaten-path songs as long as you had enough material that was recognized. It was a business for clubs, the agency and us, and that's what we needed to do. I've been in bands that played just weekends at parties, sometimes bars, bowling alleys, etc., and for those we usually played what we wanted and it was more fun. All original band was the most fun, musically.

I've played in bands since 1966. Most of them were cover bands. About 5 years ago I decided I'd had enough, and quit playing covers (defined as music written by somebody else) except as fun. So I play my own songs now, with covers that I enjoy thrown in once in a while (like 1 cover out of 10 songs). I've enjoyed playing music a lot more ever since.

The thing is, once you fall into the 'doing covers' trap, you are stuck there. It's what people expect, so it's what you give them. If you give them originals, then after a time, they expect originals from you.

Played guitar (rhythm/lead whatever) in several bands - started late so couldn't be bullied like a little kid - did originals as much as possible filled the set time with covers I/we liked. Haven't made any money over and above expenses and some band kit. Never expected to make money; haven't got the X-Factor mentatlity - some mebers did which is why I no longer play with them. If you are in it for fame and fortune, in most cases, you're being delusional. It's all about the FUN man.

Anyway... pay to play. Here in the UK this is not very prevalent that I have found. However, there are the Unsigned Band competitions to get you a record deal and tour. Pay your entry fee and sell your allocation of tickets you have paid for to your audition/gig. The audition normally equates to three minutes on stage with the supplied gear. Half the time has to be a cover and half original - if they don't like you you may not get your three minutes. You then pay and have to sell tickets for every round until the final which is miles away and you don't get expenses. You have to be there ALL day cos no one can give you a running order. This means, of course, that your friends and fans won't want to come with you and share travel expenses cos they don't want to waste 18 hours of their weekend. You may even win the competition and have to pay for the advertising, recording and pressing of your record.

Sign me up - NOT!

I agree on the pay to play thing, which is why my band doesn't seek the larger venues with the promoters and daft requirements. Our general rule is; if we are headlining we play covers but mostly originals, if we are supporting we ONLY play originals. This is mainly because we don't want to waste limited time playing someone else's songs. So we have found much more enjoyment from playing bars and pubs mostly in the southwest uk (cider country) for drinks or 200 sterling usually... less hassle, less bands on the bill, more flexibility in what we play and ultimately more fun!

To me playing the guitar is creating something that people will listen for years and will not forget for many years. It must be something simple and genious:)

However, there are the Unsigned Band competitions to get you a record deal and tour. Pay your entry fee and sell your allocation of tickets you have paid for to your audition/gig. The audition normally equates to three minutes on stage with the supplied gear.

That's right!
We have over looked the infamous *Battle of the bands*
Another racket.:rolleyes:

Battle of the bands are the laughing stock of gigs. The only way I'd do a battle of the bands is if there's an actual physical battle. Fisticuffs.

You could have a big Battle Royale, then the survivors would get up and play. Except it would be all drummers, I guess.

Back