pickup for requinto

tc4b

Yeah I been drinkin, SO!?
My guitarist recently started using a requinto, and it sounds amazing. I highly recommend it to any guitarist who enjoys any kind of finger picking guitar.

Can anyone recommend a pickup that would be good for this? It's a smaller nylon string guitar. Here's an example. We don't play boleros, but he plays with a similar style, picking with his fingernails.

Thanks for any help.

I have a steel-string tenor guitar, probably about the same size as a requinto. Most tenors have 4 strings, rather than 6 like a standard guitar or a requinto. My tenor has a small sound hole, too, so I have not found a pickup that will fit. I duct-taped a Dean Markely Pro-Mag to the inside of the top, and it worked well, but would not stay stuck for very long- more duct tape would hold it better, at the expense of the top vibrating properly. I once filed a DM Pro-Mag down a little, to fit in a friend's slightly-small-sound hole guitar- don't know if you could file it down enough to fit a tenor or requinto. DM also makes a wood-disc transducer pickup, which works with nylon strings, and can be stuck to either the outside or inside of the top, near the bridge. Double-sided carpet tape works well if you buy the transducer used, or the original stick-um looses it's stick.

Go here to see DM pickups:
http://www.deanmarkley.com/Pickups/Pickups.shtml

Back