Pickup for Nylon Acoustic Guitar?

Shinobi

Hi Gang,
Is there a pick up that you can put into a sound hole of a Nylon Acoustic guitar? I can't see out this is possible but some people that I have talked to in a local music shop says there are companies that make them. I could see if it is a filliment type mic inside a "plug" that could be installed on the side of the guitar. The reason I am asking is that I have a Nylon strung classical and a folk type guitar that I Mic presently.Is there any way to do this better? Thanks for any ideas.
Shinobi

pickup

I don't know if steel strings or nylon strings make any difference, but I had a 'Thinline' pickup installed by a pro. Thats one that is installed under the bridge. Only problem I found is it's a passive pickup, (as opposed to the kind you put in the sound hole of the instrument, which are usually magnetic,) and this usually requires some pre-amp to boost the signal . Other than that it was a good choice. The sound is just what I was looking for.... I guess part of that formula would depend on what you were looking to do once the pickup part is accomplished....

Re: pickup

UpstateNY said:
I don't know if steel strings or nylon strings make any difference, but I had a 'Thinline' pickup installed by a pro. Thats one that is installed under the bridge. Only problem I found is it's a passive pickup, (as opposed to the kind you put in the sound hole of the instrument, which are usually magnetic,) and this usually requires some pre-amp to boost the signal . Other than that it was a good choice. The sound is just what I was looking for.... I guess part of that formula would depend on what you were looking to do once the pickup part is accomplished....

Thinline, hmmm...I'll have to check that one out. If it installs under the bridge that should work with nylon strings I guess. I am looking to do this for a dual purpose. The first for better recording, the second to play out live easier then putting a Mic up to them and putting a Mic in them :)
Thanks,
Shinobi

By the way, my axe is a very old 12-string Martin, and it sounds amazing with this pickup !!!!! Martin has one, and fishman makes it for them I believe... Best to ask at your local music store.
Good luck...!!!:D

There's quite a bit of information in the archives here. Do a search on the main themes - pickup, soundhole, acoustic, baggs, b-band, fishman, and so on.

The short answer is yes, you can do it, and well. No, it won't be the same as playing into two condenser mics. Yes, it's way cheaper than two condenser mics.

There are three basic types of instrument pickups that would probably work. The undersaddle (Thinline, Baggs, Fishman are piezo type undersaddles; b-band has a electret style), the internal condenser mic (like a lapel mic inside the instrument) and a contact mic (here are found the very worst and the very best of all).

I'll come back with a couple of links for you to check out.
--------------------------

Ok - Look'ee here:

http://www.mimf.com/reviews/putw.htm

And here are the guys who invented the contact pickup back in the late 60's / early 70's with something called the FRAP. They haven't been sleeping on the job...

http://www.tranceaudio.com/lens.html

Back