picks

I use a heavy gauge pick for most of my electric stuff. I get a more full bassy kinda sound from the low strings. I feel I have better control with a heavier pick in the lighter strings for bends and H & Ps.
Some songs I use a light flimsey pick. Folky kinda stuff where a slapping sound is needed.

98% of my nylon acoustic stuff is with fingers.
I shape my index, middle and ring fingernails which aren't long but kinda stubby, to a rounded point.

My steel string acoustic I use a pick. My nails get shredded if I don't.

For slide I use plastic thumb and metal finger picks on three fingers.

I also use heavy picks, the ones of 1.5mm

Such picks are more versatile: you can play really loud with them, but with the right use you can also use them to play really quiet a

I also use heavy picks, the ones of 1.5mm

Such picks are more versatile: you can play really loud with them, but with the right use you can also use them to play really quiet and it's lots more versatile than the light ones. They 'flop' too much and they don't have a great dynamic range.

Use fingers 90% of the time. When I do use a pick, it is one of the old Fender medium ones. It's what I'm used to and sounds ok.

Small and thick - not flexible at all.

Dunlop Jazz 1 - they're great because you don't have to wait for them to spring back into place you only have to wait for th estring to get back to where it's supposed to be.

They're pretty small, too, and that works for me 'cos they're easy to move around and get different types of attack.

foo

Fender Extra Heavy tortoise shell picks are my favorite. Not really much give at all, but still "smooth" feeling.

Plus I hate turtles :)

Slackmaster 2000

For electric, I use a medium heavy plastic pick, mostly fender tortuois shell color. I like the plastic that they are made from. I don'y like the nylon picks at all. For acoustic, I'm very picky about shape, material, and thickness. For shape I like picks with three equal sides and rounded corners. I am using natural materials for picks, horn and hoof have the best tone since it illeagal to buy/sell real tortous shell these days I only use my two remaining tortuois shell picks for recording or a important event. I like thick picks for control and reduction of pick noise, on average a litte thicker than a quarter. If you don't believe me try it for yourselves. Compare thin and thick picks on the same acoustic and try out nylon, plastic, and horn. It's amazing how much difference these factors make in sound quality and tone.

Back