Peavey bandit 112

I don't suppose any of you have had any experience with this amp? Looks like it's pretty damn versatile... It's solid state but with as many options it has I'm sure there's a useable tone in there somewhere.

I'm picking one up tomorrow from a guy who has no idea what it's worth (300$ US) and I suppose if nothing else I'll just resell it and make a few bucks off of it, but it'd still be nice to hear what some of you guys have to say about it...

They're not bad little amps, I tried one out before I picked up an old Envoy..which the hipster I bought it from had painted orange with house paint. That's WA State for ya. I was actually looking for another Envoy or Bandit when I moved back to Canada but, ended up settling with an 80's Crate because, the price was right at the time.

I used to have one of these, which I bought new from Sam Ash in (cough) 1982 or 1983. It had plenty of power for practice as well as live gigs in small venues and also had enough knobs to twiddle to achieve different sounds. I rarely turned it above 5 - my ears would hurt - it's a loud amp.

I personally prefer parametric EQ to bass / mid / treble but one of the knobs pulled out and allowed some adjustment in the mid range, as did the presence knob.

The built-in spring reverb is ... um ... terrible. Fender used tubes to drive their spring reverbs and sounded far better than what Peavey did. Since the amp has an effects loop/chain you probably would want to "insert" something better than the wonky spring box mounted in the amp. I ripped my spring unit out and modified the amp to have a second effects loop which I plugged an either the original Alesis Midiverb or a Yamah R100 - I forget which.

I sold it in the mid-90's as I wasn't playing out any longer and a tiny little crate amp served my occasional doodling just fine.

It's a workhorse amp, dead nuts reliable, and totally abusable. It's NOT a Marshall or a Mesa-Boogie.

Edit: Sorry, I saw "Peavey Bandit 65" not "Peavey Bandit 112". My review was for the 65, not the 112. Sorry about that.

I've had both the Bandit 65 and the Transtube 112, and I like the Transtube much better--an FX loop on each channel, plus a footswitchable global loop is pretty good, reminds me of the Sunn Beta Lead I used to use, now all I need is two R2R's for Frippertronics. EQ is also much better, the lead channel needed a Presence control all along.

Oh yeah, you can also beat these like a wayward stepchild, and they just keep going.

It's all about the Bandit 75. That amp is a beast, those make from some crisp sounding tones. I always liked their reverb, but to each his own. Peavey used to make some damn good amps is all there is to say, haha.

The amp actually turned out to be a peavey bandit solo series. Not as many features as the original bandit 112 but it's alright I guess, I feel like I'm really missing out on some tonal options. The cleans on it are alright and I really like the "solo" channel but I'm thinking I might sell it.

I tell ya, the best amp I ever owned was a solid state crate GX900H. That amp really blew me away and seeing how old it is I could actually sell this peavey combo amp and get that head back by ordering it online.
I also own a peavey windsor which I actually really love so I think it'd be cool to have two of my favorite amp heads (windsor & GX900H) :D

I suppose only time will tell :o;)

I remember playing one of the 3-channel ones back in the day (could have been a Transtube, but I think it's the same pre...) Not too bad for what it was - it sort of struck me as about what you'd get if someone tried to make a solid state Rectifier. Didn't have the same smoothness or punishing rhythm tones, but it was a servicable enough amp, especially for the price. I've heard Niel Zaza get some great tones out of one at clinics.

Back