Paul Reed Smith

buck, i'd take that whole website with a grain of salt just from this quote.

"When playing live, after the guitar goes through the amp and the amp goes through the microphones, then the PA, and the PA blasts the room at unreasonably loud volumes, you really can't hear the difference between one brand's guitar, pickup combination, amp, from another. When recording, after the guitar goes through the amp and the amp goes through the microphones, through the mixing board, through dozens of effects boxes, through compression, you really can't hear the difference between one guitar, brand, pickup combination, amp, from another."

is this person serious? i can easily tell the difference between amps, guitars and microphones in both live and recorded settings. i was just at a music festival yesterday and could probably have told you without looking who was playing gibsons and who was playing fenders. i could have told you who was pushing a jcm900 and the guys who had fender twins. with my eyes closed i could have picked out the oranges, mesa boogies and peavy 5150's.

if the author of that website can be that oblivious to tonal differences between guitars then i don't know if i can believe his speculations about guitar manufacturers.

i have a tele and an lp and i can easily tell the difference even with lots of effects. i've played some PRS's and thought they were pretty nice. they played well, i just couldn't justify the extra $1000 more than my LP studio. and i liked the tone of the LP more anyway.

Buck-

It would serve you well to never go quoting Ed Roman ever again. Everyone knows he's a weasel with his own agenda. He slanders any guitar that he has not bought the name to and builds himself. He's the biggest scheister swindler in all of musical instrument sales today, period. A total crook and liar who has ZERO influence on anyone who knows anything about him.

To even it up, PRS never used a Tune-O-Matic, except in rare guitars where it was ordered. It's never ever been a production item. You can still order it today if you choose a custom private stock model. I just saw an 05 with a t-o-m last week.

As far as Carvin, I have played 4 or 5 and they strike me as the biggest pieces of crap I have ever touched. They are lifeless and have horrible feel, I hate the pickups and I think the designs are terribly ugly. Their necks are terrible and very limited in choice. One can't make a general sweep that they're great guitars because, although they may be great for someone, they are horrible for many more.

H2H

Hard2Hear said:
As far as Carvin...

Hey, H2H.

Everyone who's played mine has been very impressed by the workmanship, playability and tone.

Maybe they just ain't for you, man.

I've played from the cheap bolt models to 2 of the full blown 24 fret set neck aaa quilt topped models that a guy I recorded played, one green top and one blue topped. There's nothing I like about them. You're right they're not for me.

I don't like all PRS I have played either. But the 2 I have bought I liked a whole lot. The advantages they have is their vast choices of necks on different models and their wide selection of different sounding pickups. From high gain sterile sounding to vintage and warm, with everything in between. Some people don't realize that PRS has about 20 different pickup sets in their various guitars. And they are a great value used. I paid $1000 for my CE22 and $1200 for my CU22. And you can find these prices alll the time if you take the time to look. I have sold both, but didn't lose any money on them. I'm playing several SG's at the moment.

H2H

I agree with Hard2Hear, not about the carvins because I happen to think they're a better deal than prs, but that the world would be a much better place with more sg's out there. :cool:

Hard2Hear said:
Buck-

It would serve you well to never go quoting Ed Roman ever again. Everyone knows he's a weasel with his own agenda.

H2H

I wasn't citing Ed's typical rants, I simply suggested looking at what PRS offers and doesn't offer in the right-hand column of that page for reference.

Tell me... where did I say to follow any of Ed Roman's advice? :confused:

You cited his site as a source. I'm just trying to help YOU out here as to not get stuck as an "Ed Roman quoter". ;) Trust me, you would not like the fellow in person and would feel the same way I do after just talking to him one time. You're a good guy, he is NOT.

H2H

Have you looked at any of the higher end British or European makes? I know they can be hard to find, but there must be something not made thousands of miles away that'd suit your needs.

Sorry, I'm on an "encourage people to buy local" trip :o

Hard2Hear said:
You cited his site as a source. I'm just trying to help YOU out here as to not get stuck as an "Ed Roman quoter". ;) Trust me, you would not like the fellow in person and would feel the same way I do after just talking to him one time. You're a good guy, he is NOT.

H2H

Thanx, but I still contend that I'm not quoting the guy. I think Ed Roman is a pompous windbag. But the reference chart is factual, despite the added negative comments. Facts are facts, and you can't run and hide from them... no matter who presents them. But I get yout drift, though.

Ed Roman = Major Jerkoff

:D:D:D

Woaahh, now im really confused. Almost kinda wish i hadnt asked!! No cheers all for the debate and great info. I heard that the new lower range Korean PRS guitars (soapbar for example) are factory made cheaply. SOunds like i they are charging a bit much for their guitars and kinda beleive the idea of the name being better than the new guitars actually are. But im just taking this from this thread and some other sources.
Im going to try and not let the look of the guitar or name of guitar (or hopefully even price) effect my choice of purchase although i know this is almost impossible to do unless i had no idea at all about guitars. I want a guitar for the tone and also the build quality thats all. Suppose the upper market types of Gibson and PRS have good build quality.
But im just confused really. I would prefer a guitar make that i know but im open to at least trying out unheard of names.

Cheers all.

Three of the best known British brands

Patrick Eggle

Gordon Smith

Burns

The GS's sell for between £375 and £900 (see here), the cheapest Eggle is £945 and Burns are either below £400 or over £700, depending on whether you buy the (Korean built) Club series or the (British built) Custom Series.

I've no idea whether or not GS manufacture in the Far East.

if you want a les paul, and you don't mind buying used, you should check into orville by gibson. they were made in japan and they are supposed to be really well made and came with gibson usa bridges, tuners, and pickups.

http://search.ebay.com/orville_Musi...tionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

i've seen them go for a little less than this, but this is a cool guitarhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38086&item=7323282471&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

the downside is that they have veneer tops.

ecktronic said:
Woaahh, now im really confused. Almost kinda wish i hadnt asked!! No cheers all for the debate and great info. I heard that the new lower range Korean PRS guitars (soapbar for example) are factory made cheaply. SOunds like i they are charging a bit much for their guitars and kinda beleive the idea of the name being better than the new guitars actually are. But im just taking this from this thread and some other sources.
Im going to try and not let the look of the guitar or name of guitar (or hopefully even price) effect my choice of purchase although i know this is almost impossible to do unless i had no idea at all about guitars. I want a guitar for the tone and also the build quality thats all. Suppose the upper market types of Gibson and PRS have good build quality.
But im just confused really. I would prefer a guitar make that i know but im open to at least trying out unheard of names.

Cheers all.

Buck62 said:
PRS guitars used to be handmade and reasonably priced, now they are entirely machine made and ridiculously overpriced,

Ah yes, the most frequently used statement by people who have no fucking clue what they are talking about.

PRS has not been a "completely handmade guitar" since the company was founded in 1985. They have ALWAYS been made with the help of machines. They were one of the first companies to move into CNC work, and there workmanship (which was already extremely well built) has only gotten better since then, as the precision and consistency has gotten a LOT better. Paul Reed Smith (the person) spent a decade trying to make "handmade" guitars, and he could never make a living at it (no one can, really), which is why he started the company. From the beginning, they were heavily invested in automation, because it was the only way they could do it profitably. EVERY factory does the same thing, and even small builders who want to try and live anything like a middle class lifestyle have to use machines for a lot of their work. There are even a lot of small builders starting to use CNC machines. Why? Because it allows them to make BETTER guitars.

Buck62 said:
he has made many costcuts such as installing cheaper bridges (went from his famous tremolo to a cheap non adjustable stoptail - you can't properly adjust individual strings for intonation),

There are a lot of very good SONIC reasons to use a simplified bridge. The connection between the string and the guitar is much more solid, which can lead to improved sustain and better high frequency transmission. This is to say, it sounds better. More to the point, the idea for the bridge came from Ted McCarty, who was the designer of (among other things) the original humbucking pickups. He had a number of theories about making a better guitar, all of them legitimate, and THAT is why they used that design.

Buck62 said:
they have great finishes - but you can't hear or play a finish. PRS inlays are outsourced to Pearlworks. For a lot less money you can buy a better guitar by Nik Huber, Carvin, Roger Giffin, Gene Baker Guitars, Bunker, Malden, Belman, Heritage, Gibson, Jaros Guitars, Guild, Terry McInturff, David Thomas McNaught, Dean USA, or Ed Roman.

No, you can buy DIFFERENT guitars from any of those builders. They all make fine guitars, but they are NOT the same, and certainly not interchangeable. If the PRS is the sound you are after, then you are going to have to get a PRS, or be unsatisfied. Anyone who tells you different is full of shit.

Buck62 said:
now Gibsons have improved and the Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut guitar is better than the PRS guitars.

LOL :p :p ROFLMAO :D :p :p :eek: :eek: :D :D

As Slappy the Squirrel would say, "Now THAT'S comedy."

Buck62 said:
Most of the parts are outsourced. [/quote[

Wow, this guy is really completely clueless. Much of their hardware (bridges, gears, etc.) is made by outside manufactures. The same is true of Gibson, Taylor, Fender, Martin, and every other builder in the world. Why? Because Gotoh does it better, and cheaper.

Buck62 said:
PRS customer service is nonexistant, unless you're a famous endorcee.

Well hey, even a blind squirrel sometimes finds an acorn. He's right about this one.

Buck62 said:
The Korean made clones sold by Samick, Dillion, Phil Musical, and John Hornby Skewes actually have better hardware than PRS's USA assembled guitars.

Back to totally clueless. What a surprise.

Now, you will notice, I am only commenting on their build quality. I, personally, do not like their SOUND, but that is a personal reaction. I like a guitar which has a more pronounced attack, and is a bit brighter. But then, that is at least part of why I build guitars.

If PRS has the sound YOU like, then that is the guitar you should get. End of story. And don't ever let anyone tell you their quality control is bad. In that regard, they are one of the best in the business. I just wish they would do a better job of customer service, but that is a bit self serving, as I would love to be their service center, as I already am for Martin, Gibson, Fender, Taylor, and quite a few others.

By the way, Buck, I was not picking on you, just the guy who wrote the article. It was simply a good way into the conversation.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Reactions: apl
I just looked at my rep points, and APL got my obscure Steven Spielberg cartoon reference!!!

The crankiest of creatures in the whole wide world,
The next cartoon features Slappy the Squirrel

"Ah shut up already."

THAT'S Slappy!!!!!

Animaniacs ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I have an 88 standard 24 and a 99 custom 24-----I can attest to the fact that there is no reduction of quality between my 2 instruments......I love them both.........Samick as nice as PRS???? Ha Ha Ha thats the funiest thing ever....I had a friend that bought a Samick mixing board.....What a POS>

Back