Ovation Guitars

MatchBookNotes

I'm on the hunt for an acoustic and I played around with a celebrity series at the local long and mcquade.
Are they decent? Versatile? Action high enough for slide?

Many people complain about the bowl, but i don't have an issue with it, I prefer it to a large drednaught that puts my arm to sleep, and I require a cuttaway anyways.

Ovation Celebrity Feedback

I have used an Ovation Celebrity for a few years. It is a nice performance guitar. The pre amp is pretty versatile and musical and mine has very nice action. I don't play slide so I don't know if it's high enough for slide. Mine is set up with light strings and I like the feel of the neck. I play fingerpick style, blues, rock, pop and the guitar cuts it for all of them. It bends nicely too for lead work.

It's been beat up a bit and takes it and for my money would be good choice if performance is important to you.

If you are going to use it for live performances then it is a good, easy to control acoustic.

If you are buying it to record, don't. They just don't sound as full as an all wood one of the same caliber. You will be disappointed with the results.

That was my experience. But they are nice guitars that play like butter.

They sound great doing what they do. For an electric/acoustic sound I think they sound great but for an honest acoustic recording...not so much. I second the thoughts on their application for live playing. They seem to cut through a little better.

It comes down to what you like.

The only complaint I have on Ovations is that you can't sit down and play the things. It will obviously be a little less woody sounding, and I have to agree with everyone else that if you're looking for an uber warm, woody sound, ovation is not the way to go. Sure, their pickup system is good and very versatile on the more expensive models, but Taylor's pickup system is all the rage right now. The most important thing to look for in a guitar is solid wood, which is quite expensive when the back, sides, top, and neck are solid wood, so you can get an Ovation with a solid top and neck for a great price compared to other solid wood acoustic guitars, but be warned that synthetics sound bland compared to wood.

i have an ovation celebrity cc 057 and i love it.

i use it for recording and i like the sound i get from it, though in the past i was recording straight into the computer with an adaptor, so the sound qulaity wasnt all there.

the last song i recorded i just plugged it into a mixer with usb and it got me good results.

my set up is my ovation to a Samson C-Valve tube pre, tube pre to a sonic maximizer, and maximizer to a Fender acoustasonic junior 40w combo. once i added the pre and the maximizer it sounds 100 times better. i cant wait to see what my recordings sound like now when i mic the cab and use a new firewire mixer.

all in all the guitar is a good one for its price. it stays in tune and does what is supposed while sounding good. it has its own unique tone and signature to it which i like a lot. if you are wanting to record strumming open chords plugged right in to a mixer it will not sound like a "normal" acoustic. though, if you miced the guitar itself you will get some good results.

its all in what you are going to do with it.

i think ovation people are certain breed in a way. but at the same time, i am currently in the market for a traditional acoustic, just to get that full and warm sound.

If you are buying it to record, don't. They just don't sound as full as an all wood one of the same caliber. You will be disappointed with the results.

All depends on how the guitar is recorded. I have achieve excellent results, many times with my Celebrity. Don't blame the instrument.

I used mine for years playing clubs and never once had a problem with it til my 2yr old knocked it over and cracke the neck joint. But even after a neck reset, the thing still plays nicely

All depends on how the guitar is recorded. I have achieve excellent results, many times with my Celebrity. Don't blame the instrument.

I used mine for years playing clubs and never once had a problem with it til my 2yr old knocked it over and cracke the neck joint. But even after a neck reset, the thing still plays nicely

Playing live is the perfect application for these acoustics.

Upon listening to your stuff, whatever you used for an acoustic sounds tinny, thin, and like it was recorded in a bathroom.

So maybe you are right, it may not be the instrument. ;)

Nice material though.

Playing live is the perfect application for these acoustics.

Upon listening to your stuff, whatever you used for an acoustic sounds tinny, thin, and like it was recorded in a bathroom.

So maybe you are right, it may not be the instrument. ;)

Nice material though.

We're all entitled to our opinion, I give you that, but you come off sounding like only your opinion matters, and because you couldn't make it work, then no one else will either. :cool:

Not my intent to sound that bad.
I played Ovations for years before I started recording at home. The live performance edge they have is based on experience. I never played an acoustic in a recording studio in the old days because I was in pre ballad era rock bands. When I started recording at home is when I noticed the difference in sound. It's not huge, but it is quite noticable. I used to feel the need to defend my Ovation against the "real acoustic" friends of mine until one day I admitted they were right.

I think they are a great buy for the money, and are really easy to play as well as record.

I just think they sound cheap on a recording. And you may disagree.
But your opinion should really be the bottom line for your recordings so I thank you for being a good sport. My wife always says that most of the time that I talk, I sound like a jerk anyways. :D

thanks for your opinions and tips, guys, gave me another angle to consider in my possible purchase.

I may just end up going for a vox valvetronix amp instead.

thanks for your opinions and tips, guys, gave me another angle to consider in my possible purchase.

I may just end up going for a vox valvetronix amp instead.

I have the 100 watt combo, and for the money it's a great amp.
Any size they make is a value.

ovations are wonderful in a live context. wonderful to play and wonderful from a sound reinforcement standpoint--easy to plug in and get a usable sound without feedback.

recordingwise, it's always been my experience that they sound thin and plastic. in short, they sound like Ovations being recorded.

some folks will swear by em......but anytime i see someone walk in with an ovation who wants to record, i hand them my martin. if they balk, we'll do a take with their ovation and one with the martin and let playback be the judge.

cheers,
wade

Back