Out of tune

GT

I wonder how many of you have trouble getting their electric guitars to stay in tune, and does anyone have any methods that help?

Locking tuners?

BTW, do you know how much locking tuners cost? My non locking Pacifica keeps getting out of tune too (the tuners are cheap).

Always tune UP and always stretch the piss out of your strings. Stretch them until they positively do not go out of tune by yanking on em. That helps CONSIDERABLY and you'd be suprised at how many guitarists don't know this.

And then of course locking machines help... but most machines are somewhat "locking". Good machines aren't that expensive so they might be worth looking into. Make sure that's the problem first however.

With good machines and proper tuning, you should be able to change strings and not have a single tuning problem right from the get go.

(BTW, cheaper guitars respond more to changes in climate...therefore you'll often pull your guitar out of the case and every string will have gone up or down in pitch. So you'll tune it correctly, and as you play it the temperature changes and bang...you're out of tune again. This is something to consider.)

Slackmaster 2000

a set of Sperzel locking tuners will soak you for $55-70 clams depending on how fancy you want. A floyd Rose locking trem will hit you for $150 if you feel like re-doing your guitar. If you have a few extra bucks I would suggest the Elixer strings. I am just amazed at how little they stretch. Tune up (just like slacky says) and some dudes say to boil your strings befor putting them on. Supposedly the heat gets 'em all anti stretchy. Never tried that myself. But I tell you those exlixers are the shit.

Even

The boiling deal is for the purpose of removing non-metallic deposits on the strings which can be metalworking oils or a mixture of dead skins cells and grease blended with sweat and just plain dirt. Just do this thought experiment. Imagine handling a pair of eyeglass lenses the way your fingers handle a set of guitar strings and you get the idea of how quickly your strings can get contaminated. Unless you're doing a solvent wipe (or boiling water clean), the dreck will remain on the strings and affect the sound you get. I think it's better just to replace the strings when they get to sounding dead.

I find funny your boiling trick because on my RGX I use Blue Steel strings, which get the opposite treatment (extreme cold) and I don't have stretching problems with those either :o)

I would suggest having your guitar looked at and make sure it is setup properly. That, 9 times out of 10 is the problem with guitars going out of tune. Also, be sure that you wrap the strings around the post at least twice on wound strings and three times on plain strings.
About the ELixer strings though, I would say dont bother. The reason they dont sound different after 6 weeks or more is that they go on your guitar dead. They sound like poop when you put them, and they sound that way unitl you take them off. If you just want consistancy, then put some on, but if youwant a good sounding string, just stick with the basic Erinie Ball, Dean Markley or whatever. If you wipe off your neck and strings with a rag when you are done playing you will extend the life of the strings and help the intonation.

MIKE

Back