nylon strings on a steel string guitar

andyhix

:dank:
Can it be done? I have a cheap never-used steel string acoustic sitting around. Just for shits and giggles, I thought about putting nylons on it. I know the fret board is usually different (wider, I think) on a classical guitar, but I just thought it might be worth trying....maybe. thoughts?

andyhix said:
Can it be done? I have a cheap never-used steel string acoustic sitting around. Just for shits and giggles, I thought about putting nylons on it. I know the fret board is usually different (wider, I think) on a classical guitar, but I just thought it might be worth trying....maybe. thoughts?

NO

:D

It can be done but its maybe not a very good idea.

Firstly its not likely to sound very good. A steel strung guitar is heavier built and braced to withstand the extra tension of steel strings. Nylons will not be able to move the soundboard as it needs to be.

Secound your nut will not be right for the string gauges. They will be thicker and will not sit in the slots very well. Also the string spaceings will be all wrong and feel real weird. The windings are likely to wear pretty quick as well. There are other minor reason why not.

You'll not cause any damage by doing so but you'll be dissapointed with the result.

A word of Caution. NEVER PUT STEEL STRINGS ON A NYLON STRUNG GUITAR. You are likely to cause damage by doing so.

muttley600 said:
A word of Caution. NEVER PUT STEEL STRINGS ON A NYLON STRUNG GUITAR. You are likely to cause damage by doing so.

I learned that lesson with a ukulele at the age of 10 or 12. The thing shattered like it was hit with a grenade.

Thanks for the other info. Maybe I'll just keep the cheapo set up in nashville tuning, or some open tuning or something like I've been doing.

andyhix said:
I learned that lesson with a ukulele at the age of 10 or 12. The thing shattered like it was hit with a grenade.

Thanks for the other info. Maybe I'll just keep the cheapo set up in nashville tuning, or some open tuning or something like I've been doing.

Yeah, the nylon strings would suck. Try it in Nashville though, or, if you want something different, make up a composite set out of acoustic strings and electric ones, so you can fingerpick and bend on an acoustic guitar.

I've seen this done with a light set of acoustics and the high e and the b string from a set of electric 11's. Sounds interesting, especially when plugged in.

faderbug...tsk tsk tsk....

Faderbug posted this annoymous negative rep to me:
"right back at you. asshole. unsigned!"

Now, why would you do that? I'm 99% sure I didn't neg rep you. if I did, it was an accident, for sure, but the more likely scenario is that someone negged you and signed it with my name.

I'll tell you what, if you own up to this anonymous neg rep and explain WHY I recieved it, I can explain to you:
1. How I know it was you that sent it to me. and
2. How you can check if any neg rep you recieved is actually from me or not.

Honestly, I don't think I did so. It's really not my style.

P.S. unsigned rep is pretty gutless.

Edit. OK now I'm 99.9% sure I didn't neg ya because I don't think the BBS allows you to rep someone twice for the same post, and if I click on the scales in your post, I can still leave you rep. Which I haven't. Yet.

Last edited:
andyhix said:

Now, why would you do that? I'm 99% sure I didn't neg rep you. if I did, it was an accident, for sure, but the more likely scenario is that someone negged you and signed it with my name.

I'll tell you what, if you own up to this anonymous neg rep and explain WHY I recieved it, I can explain to you:

Edit. OK now I'm 99.9% sure I didn't neg ya because I don't think the BBS allows you to rep someone twice for the same post, and if I click on the scales in your post, I can still leave you rep. Which I haven't. Yet.

Wow. That's not too cool. Especially since Faderbug took a lot of hell on this board recently from Light, and I, along with others, tried to stick up for him. Andyhix, maybe it was just a mistake???

Yeah, Whatever. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. I just really am curious why he would do that. Probably was an honest mistake. I've been a prick in other threads, but I'm pretty sure not in this one.

Last edited:
andyhix said:
I've been a prick in other threads, but I'm pretty sure not it this one.

I hear that, guitar and bass is my favorite forum, everyone here is usually so cool. Hee hee me and 32-20 have been getting in trouble in the Studio Building forum! :eek: :D :D :D

Besides, all the cool kids hang out here...Muttley, Me, Light, Anfontman, Travis, the righteous Johnny C, Outlaws, Marshall409. All nice people.

if there is a ...that piece of iron inside the neck that adjusts tension against strings...

and you throw nylons on it... will the missing string-tension warp the neck with time?..

prolly getting neg rep for not remembering the word to that threaded thingie...

Jouni said:
if there is a ...that piece of iron inside the neck that adjusts tension against strings...

and you throw nylons on it... will the missing string-tension warp the neck with time?..

prolly getting neg rep for not remembering the word to that threaded thingie...
Most likely not. Most Nylon strung instruments have no neck reinforcement. Some very high end stuff now has carbon fibre rods but not on the stuff we are normally talking about. Steel strung instruments have neck reinforcement to help contract the pull of the strings.

You will most likely not harm a steel string by putting nylons on it. The other way round you are asking for trouble....

muttley600 said:
Most likely not. Most Nylon strung instruments have no neck reinforcement. Some very high end stuff now has carbon fibre rods but not on the stuff we are normally talking about. Steel strung instruments have neck reinforcement to help contract the pull of the strings.

You will most likely not harm a steel string by putting nylons on it. The other way round you are asking for trouble....
i think he was worried about

the neck becoming back-bowed

because of the lack of tension

i'd think that would be apparent immediately

i'd think a steel string would sound crappy with nylons

because the soundboard bracing is too stiff

and the tone would be thin and low volume

but someone go ahead and try it

you'll have to modify or change the nut

to accept the larger diameter strings

i think stringing it nashville

is your best idea

you'll love the difference in sound

cannabis said:
i think he was worried about

the neck becoming back-bowed

because of the lack of tension

i
Yeh thats why I said most likely not! I'm reluctant to say definitely not because someone will take you on and say otherwise.

You will not damage a steel string with nylon strings. You will not be pleased with the result,,

I had a steel string guitar strung with nylon for a while there at one stage and I thought it sounded quite nice. I tuned it about 1 step down. The only thing was the strings were a bit close to the fretboard. But it was still pretty good to play.

muttley600 said:

Never is a long time. Actually, a number of successful pros have been doing this for years. Richard Thompson is one who comes to mind. He gets a fabulous tone that way. I heard him years ago, solo, live in a tiny club here in my humble home town. I think Peter Yarrow (Peter, Paul and Mary) has done it for decades. You take a not-too-expensive nylon string guitar and put on the lightest gauge steel strings you can find and play it to fame and fortune, or until it bites the dust. The reason should be obvious: you want the sound of steel strings and you want the wonderful tone and resonance of the nylon string guitar which has less bracing. You could spend thousands on a steel string guitar and not achieve the tone you can get from a $200 nylon string acoustic with steel strings. Just know that in exchange for some period of delightful music, you will destroy the guitar.

Cheers,

Otto

ofajen said:
Never is a long time. Actually, a number of successful pros have been doing this for years. Richard Thompson is one who comes to mind. He gets a fabulous tone that way. I heard him years ago, solo, live in a tiny club here in my humble home town. I think Peter Yarrow (Peter, Paul and Mary) has done it for decades. You take a not-too-expensive nylon string guitar and put on the lightest gauge steel strings you can find and play it to fame and fortune, or until it bites the dust. The reason should be obvious: you want the sound of steel strings and you want the wonderful tone and resonance of the nylon string guitar which has less bracing. You could spend thousands on a steel string guitar and not achieve the tone you can get from a $200 nylon string acoustic with steel strings. Just know that in exchange for some period of delightful music, you will destroy the guitar.

Cheers,

Otto

Richard Thompson is awesome!! I tought he played mostly lowdens though and martins.

andyhix said:

guilty.

someone neg repped me anonymously for answering 'no' (which is a correct answer i believe). in my anger i assumed it was you so i left you - also unsigned - neg rep. this is not my habit, i normaly sign the rep points i give, pos and neg.

TelePaul said:
Richard Thompson is awesome!! I tought he played mostly lowdens though and martins.
Yes he does Lowdens and he has never put steel strings on a nylon strung instrument to the best of my knowledge. I've known him for over 25 years. He has played small bodied silk and steel guitars in the past. As to Pete Yarrow I have no idea.

The reason should be obvious: you want the sound of steel strings and you want the wonderful tone and resonance of the nylon string guitar which has less bracing.
I'm affraid it just dosent work that way. The two bracing systems are not designed to work either way. Try it for yourself but don't bitch about it when the bridge on your nylon drops or pops off the neck bows the end of the fret board dissappears into the soundhole, the tuners wont hold and the gears slip never to work again and you end up with an action that the Great Valerio could use to practice his high wire routine on. :)

Back