Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Noiseless Pickups

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Cavedog. I don't know about the US but in the EU all electronic equipment has to meet very stringent standards for EMI ingress and egress. This can be a protracted and expensive business for new designs.

I can assure you that "our" amplifiers met the standards. I never in 3 years had a complaint of RFI trouble, not even with amplifiers with IC front ends! I did have a guy with a problem but it turned out he lived only a few 100 yards from some hush-hush naval transmitting ***t. Nothing was going to keep THAT out!

It is not possible to reverse a mains plug in UK unless you chop off the moulded one and fit another, wrongly.

Dave.

Thanks
    I'm aware of standards being met in manufacturing. My point being that (and this is quite a few years of experience) that after extended use and all the abuse that comes from moving gear from place to place, that amps can begin to exhibit noise and interference from hinky solder joints that they wouldn't have had, had they been in the bedroom or stationary all their lives. Even hand wired ,point-to-point amps, will eventually show where the bad solder joints are through lots of use. And in my experience, MOST of the problems in guitars/amps/audio gear in general are from poor solder joints which under certain circumstances will create other much more devastating conditions for the piece of gear. Heat related failures especially.
    Chord with this, Teddy......

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cavedog101 View Post
    I'm aware of standards being met in manufacturing. My point being that (and this is quite a few years of experience) that after extended use and all the abuse that comes from moving gear from place to place, that amps can begin to exhibit noise and interference from hinky solder joints that they wouldn't have had, had they been in the bedroom or stationary all their lives. Even hand wired ,point-to-point amps, will eventually show where the bad solder joints are through lots of use. And in my experience, MOST of the problems in guitars/amps/audio gear in general are from poor solder joints which under certain circumstances will create other much more devastating conditions for the piece of gear. Heat related failures especially.
    Ah! Gotcha. Well, "we" test and try to anticipate future problems and build to as "beefier" standard as the price points allow*. Mind you, if you want to "field test" any bit of electronic gear, give it to a guitar "rock god"!

*I doubt for instance that "our" PCBs suffer much from "drys" they are AS well soldered as the stuff I saw in the PC Network industry and that carried a 15 yr warranty! But as our technical director was wont to say. "The trouble with valve amps is the fekkin' VALVES!"

I used to rig 1/2 power constant on/of function tests and it was always a valve or fuse that stopped the test. Usually a valve THEN a fuse.

Dave.

Thread Information