Noise Suppressor in FX loop?

TelePaul

J to the R O C
Should I even consider this? Read elsewhere Steve Vai - amongst others - do it. If so, does it come before or after my modulation/time fx?

Why not?... If other effects are cool in the loop why shouldn't noise suppression be?..

I'd put it in last, after everything causing noise.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Why would you want all that noise to go thru the amp in the first place? My gate is the last thing in the chain in front of the amp.

Wouldn't the gate just work that much harder to shut out noise that has already been amplified?

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Why would you want all that noise to go thru the amp in the first place? My gate is the last thing in the chain in front of the amp.

Wouldn't the gate just work that much harder to shut out noise that has already been amplified?

That's how I'm using it now. I have the Boss NS2 which has something of a 'mini' fx send and return so I send my distortion boxes through it.

If you are using strictly pedals for OD/Distortion and running into a clean amp, then putting the noise reduction in front of the amp will work fine. If you are using the preamp's gain stages which tend to create noise ,then running the noise reduction after the preamp and before the FX will work better in most cases.

When I use one, which is rare, I put it first thing after the tuner. Why would you want any ground noise going through your overdrive pedals if you're going to get rid of it anyway? Get it at the source. After the amp pre, if using an OD pedal, you've raised the gain twice before ratting it out.

Unless I fundamentally misunderstand what a noise suppresor does.

Unless I fundamentally misunderstand what a noise suppresor does.

Well a big problem for me is single coil hum when I play with distortion. 60 cycle hum being distorted = unpleasant. Of course you don't notice it when you play notes, but it can creep in when the note fades out.

If you are using strictly pedals for OD/Distortion and running into a clean amp, then putting the noise reduction in front of the amp will work fine. If you are using the preamp's gain stages which tend to create noise ,then running the noise reduction after the preamp and before the FX will work better in most cases.

+1
What he said:D

Well a big problem for me is single coil hum when I play with distortion. 60 cycle hum being distorted = unpleasant. Of course you don't notice it when you play notes, but it can creep in when the note fades out.

Is there any diff between a noise gate and a noise suppressor? A noise gate won't remove noise from your signal; it will just close and keep any sound from going through the chain once the amplitude falls below threshold. When it's open everything passes through it, noise and all.

Is there any diff between a noise gate and a noise suppressor? A noise gate won't remove noise from your signal; it will just close and keep any sound from going through the chain once the amplitude falls below threshold. When it's open everything passes through it, noise and all.

No diff as far as I know. Suppressor gates the hum when notes aren't being played.

It would seem the best thing to experiment?

..before amp, before in-front effects, after preamp, after preamp and effects..
should work somewhere?:D

Speaking of noise suppressors, has anybody tried the EH Hum Debugger? The product description says its not a supressor, not a gate. Just curious if that'd be a good remedy for 60-cycle hum from a single-coil like your situation TelePaul.

I use that same Boss noise gate pedal, but I have double humbuckers and don't usually have too bad of problems with hum. Great pedal though, had it forever.

Speaking of noise suppressors, has anybody tried the EH Hum Debugger? The product description says its not a supressor, not a gate. Just curious if that'd be a good remedy for 60-cycle hum from a single-coil like your situation TelePaul.

I use that same Boss noise gate pedal, but I have double humbuckers and don't usually have too bad of problems with hum. Great pedal though, had it forever.

Here is a reponse from another Forum on the EH Hum Debugger:

"The only thing its good for- is the space in between songs. Its quiet. But it sucks the tone out of your rig when you are playing, especially with the tube screamer going. Hopefully I can find some use for it somewhere or somehow in the studio. Maybe on a hum on a DI box or something."

Back