new v. used TriAxis

BBB

I've been shopping around for the Mesa/Boogie TriAxis and have been comparing prices and here's what I've found:

New: $1500
Used: $950

WTF? These used ones are in good shape and are version 2. Why the dramatic drop in price? I've found a shop that can do a bit of a deal new (shhhh), but I'm sure they can't come close to the used price.

Now I don't expect them to come down to the used price, but still, $550 more for new? That's over 1/3 off for buying a PREMIUM piece of equipment used. I've seen the Recto's and the Mark IV's hold their value much better. And the beauty of the TriAxis is that it can give you Recto, IV, III, tones. Am I missing something? Do the TriAxis' break? Is it just the trend in getting the combo/stack over a rackmount piece of equipment (my guess)?

I like supporting the local shops, but just can't rationalize picking one up new. Anyone want to persuade me to do so?

Matt

TriAxis is bad to the bone, but you'll need a GOOD power amp, not any old thing will suffice, and I mean that. You need another $1000 for a good power amp. Thats about right for used, which is still holding its value better than OTHER peoples brands, which drop to half the value. It might need a total retube too, so keep that in mind. Good luck!

I can't believe they were allowed to steal that name from Ampeg. I have an 80's Ampeg TriAxis VT-60. Just another reason I don't like Mesa Boogie.

H2H

Back