The New Tone Thread

Don't know how many current members are interested in posting tone clips. I am, but I'd just as soon see a new thread for it.

Don't know how many current members are interested in posting tone clips. I am, but I'd just as soon see a new thread for it.

Not that I mind, but I'm curious why.

Trivia: This is like the 3rd Tone thread started. Not sure why the others were shutdown.

Not that I mind, but I'm curious why.

Trivia: This is like the 3rd Tone thread started. Not sure why the others were shutdown.

The first "tone thread" didn't take off. The progenitor of this leviathan was Sky Blu Lou's "Tone to Die For"thread in the Cave. It had a great run in there but was lost when the Cave was deleted. The management saw fit not to preserve it. This thread? You tell me.

The management saw fit not to preserve it. This thread? You tell me.

Damn those guys, anyway.

I've never posted my own tones, but I enjoy reading through and trying out the settings on my amp-sim plugs. Never matches up for some reason. lol

well, except all greg's clips are gone

True that...but TBH...I think it only would really matter if someone was trying to copy those same tones and had the exact same gear that Greg has.
I always saw this as an individual thing...your gear, your tones.
Just saying that if anyone here really wanted to keep posting tones...they certainly could.

I think what's really missing now in this thread isn't Greg's tones...it's Greg's opinion of other people's tones, which is often what many here looked for....but hey, someone made that bed here, and now they can lay in it. :)

I think some may want to start a new thread only to try and get away from all that...but, that smacks more of personal issues and nothing to do with tones. ;)

This is a tone thread...carny on, if you wish or can.

I think what's really missing now in this thread isn't Greg's tones...it's Greg's opinion of other people's tones, which is often what many here looked for....but hey, someone made that bed here, and now they can lay in it. :)

Yes, that's missing. But what's really important is that everybody who participated in the tone thread was part of a community aiming towards the same goal - the perfect realisation of their tone for their style of music. Yes, Greg was a focus for this thread and he held it together, but everybody who contributed had their own desired end point. There was back and forth between the members and no serious disparagement of any member's style of music. The contributors were very diverse, but they were all earnest and honest about wanting to improve and be improved.

But when you kick out one of that group, nobody else from that group wants to stay. Let Robus start his thread. Let him try to get it going. It takes an incredible amount of dedication and hard work. The Tone thread didn't fall into anybody's fucking lap.

Go for it, Robus. I'm watching. :)

Yes, that's missing. But what's really important is that everybody who participated in the tone thread was part of a community aiming towards the same goal - the perfect realisation of their tone for their style of music. Yes, Greg was a focus for this thread and he held it together, but everybody who contributed had their own desired end point. There was back and forth between the members and no serious disparagement of any member's style of music. The contributors were very diverse, but they were all earnest and honest about wanting to improve and be improved.

But when you kick out one of that group, nobody else from that group wants to stay. Let Robus start his thread. Let him try to get it going. It takes an incredible amount of dedication and hard work. The Tone thread didn't fall into anybody's fucking lap.

Go for it, Robus. I'm watching. :)

No serious disparagement? Ok well then maybe you define that differently.

Greg 'when productive' is/was seriously and personally missed here by myself and other mods and admin. What isn't missed is the reasons he decided to leave. He made the choice by years of bending the site rules and ridiculing new members. He decided to make his own rules. I admire that in many ways. But...

Why are you calling out Robus?

Go for it, Bubba po, I'm watching. :)

Read back through the posts on this thread. It was as much a clubhouse as it was about guitar clips. Would it have sustained itself based on tone clips alone? Could any thread? I'm doubtful, unless it were stickied. How many HR posters are recording regularly? And the more productive people I know of on this forum tend to care more for sharing mixes and songs than raw guitar clips.

To answer Chili's question as to why a fresh start would be desirable, if there were to be a tone clip thread at all: To avoid having to deal with crap like this:

Oh, look - three flies on a corpse.

It was as much a clubhouse as it was about guitar clips.

So that's what really bothered you?
That you weren't part of the clubhouse crew...?

Any forum you go to, there will be people who think alike and therefore, come together as a group.
You can't avoid that.
The need to bust up the groups in order for someone else to feel more comfortable...would be kinda lame...and another group would form over time anyway.

So it's on the individual to fit in, if that's what they are really after...rather than dismantling a group until they finally fit in.
When I see a group of people who I don't fit in with...I don't expect them to leave one by one, until I feel comfortable.
I try to fit in, or I leave instead...and find my group.
Social engineering doesn't work well on open, public forums. By the time you "fix it how you like it"...there may not be anyone else there but you.

if you deduced all that from a sentence, I'll let you deduce my reply as well. I like you Miro but you're a world-class shit stirrer.

Last edited:
Read back through the posts on this thread. It was as much a clubhouse as it was about guitar clips. Would it have sustained itself based on tone clips alone? Could any thread? I'm doubtful, unless it were stickied. How many HR posters are recording regularly? And the more productive people I know of on this forum tend to care more for sharing mixes and songs than raw guitar clips.

To answer Chili's question as to why a fresh start would be desirable, if there were to be a tone clip thread at all: To avoid having to deal with crap like this:
Cock-Wamble,

The tone thread was held together by a sense of community based around diverse users trying to capture the tone they were after when recording. You never contributed so wouldn't know, in fact you even tried to start your own anti-tone thread a few times.. The main purpose of which seemed to be to antagonise people.

Most regular tone thread users are actually pretty prolific home recorders.

Cock-Wamble,

I acquire a new Britishism! :cool:

I'm not putting down the community you had on this thread. It went beyond tones. That's another reason for a new thread, since those who participated are mostly gone. It should rest in peace. If the purpose of Bubba's post was to point that out, I agree with him.

As a matter of fact I did post here a few times. But the reality was, it was better that Greg and I kept our distance. That's why I was posting tones to Nola's small amp thread, not to antagonize anybody.

That would be a good thread to revive. The question is, are there enough people interested in posting and commenting on guitar clips to sustain it? I've got tones. You?

if you deduced all that from a sentence, I'll let you deduce my reply as well. I like you Miro but you're a world-class shit stirrer.

Well...it just seems that way...probably because I'm close to the mark.
You've done your part to shit-stir around here more than you will ever admit to.

Why go on and on about another tone thread....just start the damn thing if you want to, but I get the feeling you first want to see this tone thread die off, get closed, get deleted...or whatever "It should rest in peace" means.

You were bothered by this thread when everyone was still here, because of the "clubhouse" vibe...and now you're still bothered by its existence even when you can have it without that "clubhouse" vibe.
That's just seem to be the case...that's no shit stirring.

I'll leave you now...and you figure out what it is you want to do with your tones.

If the infallible, unfairly banned, Greg were here he'd be pretty pissed off that a bunch of pussies are getting butthurt in the tone thread.
I'm trying to work out what he'd actually say and, presumably, get unfairly chastised about.

Seriously. Robus is talking tones and you two are talking shit. Talk tones or GTFO please.

If the infallible, unfairly banned, Greg were here he'd be pretty pissed off that a bunch of pussies are getting butthurt in the tone thread.
I'm trying to work out what he'd actually say and, presumably, get unfairly chastised about.

Seriously. Robus is talking tones and you two are talking shit. Talk tones or GTFO please.

Bullshit, the only person who's posted a tone here since Christmas is Jimi.

Steen, calling people butthurt I'm this context just makes you look like a twat... and you're weirdly telling us we have to stay on topic on the tone thread. Lol.

Robus went out of his way to piss Greg off and you bought it cos it made the job of moderating the forum easier.

Bullshit? Greg has pretty much said that word for word in the past.
Any time there's aggro or mod intervention Greg was very quick, and rightly so, to say that the Tone Thread was always clean, in that respect.

If you guys want to debate why Greg was banned this isn't the place, and Robus isn't the man with the answers.

Back