The New Tone Thread

Not gonna happen, Greg beat me to the 1,000th page, but I'm getting the 10,000th post.....:D

Well I'll be fucked......A day late & a dollar short again tonight.....:laughings:.

Last edited:
Not gonna happen, Greg beat me to the 1,000th page, but I'm getting the 10,000th post.....:D

Well I'll be fucked......A day late & a dollar short again tonight.....:laughings:.

Well, fuck me. A cornering NOOB gets the corner. I hate Greg, you and all the rest of you bastards, now:mad:

Cheers Tad. Yeah, there's loads of mistakes, they e never recorded themselves singing before and they were just singing into my 57 with generic compression and reverb added.

I've never recorded acoustic before. So I tried a few experiments with the mic piezo blend switch and even adding a room mic. In the end I gave up on the room mic and had the internal blend 3/4 towards mic with about a 1/4 piezo.

Greg needs a Marshall Code to complete his collection!

:facepalm:
All right, time to catch up on what I've missed over the past week in tone land.

Bubba Po
That's great that you and your boy got some airplay! Interesting instrumental/spoken word thing going on there. The audio quality of the broadcast is just wrecked, but I can hear some good things going on. Reminds me a bit of something off of Bowie's Outside, with a little Besnard Lakes mixed in. What guitar/amp are you using? Sound like a neck pickup and some smooth overdrive.

Cheers, Tad - yes, the track got utterly mangled. There's a better version in the clinic - it might be on the second page by now.

The guitar for the repeating lead riff is a Fender Jag on the neck and bridge pickup together which is wired to be out of phase, giving that Strat "ping" but with a much more rounded tone. Amp is a Marshall valvestate 50 on the gain channel.

:facepalm:

Cheers, Tad - yes, the track got utterly mangled. There's a better version in the clinic - it might be on the second page by now.

I've had some stuff get played on internet radio and small-time local airwave radio. Radio always mangles music. They have to.

I had a song once called 'Alligator Annie' that some folk singer earth mother type wrote and I recorded it on myTeac 3340 that somehow got worked into a Radio America show and broadcast into the soviet bloc back during the cold war .... they'd have a short interview with the actual alligator annie (Lousiaiana) then cut to a verse of the song and then it'd fade out and another Annie segment etc.
About a 20 minute show built around that song.

I always thought that was pretty cool .... I always wonder what the ruskies thought of all that.

Spent pretty much all of the last two days listening to Bad Religion albums... my brain in cooked. Forgotten how good they are.

Been messin' with some slide on the SG today, ain't gonna mess with the action on that guitar...I still can't believe how responsive this thing is...

I wish I could play slide. I've owned a couple of steel Dunlop slides almost as long as I've owned guitars, but they just sit in a bin and collect rust on the inside. Now all they do is make my finger smell funny when I wear one of them.

Seriously, I've tried to play slide so many times, but it's like playing with mittens on. I just have no feel for it. Then I watch somebody like Derek Trucks just kill it with a slide on an SG and it makes me jealous.

Tad, it's a right pain in the arse isn't it? I had to play slide live last year. Took me fucking ages to work out how to do a verse of 4 sets of 4 bars. It was shite. My slide also sits at the bottom of my box of stuff collecting rust.

Here's what I use:

Now, I'm no Derek Trucks, or Duayne Allman, but I can play slide a little....The way I play is really simple, just the simple "box" pentatonic notes, learn to use those & off you go....Like anything it takes practice, for me the hardest thing to learn after the little scale thing I use is to dampen/mute the strings I don't want heard. I use my ring finger btw...

Here's you guys some of my shitty slide playing on the new git-fiddle....

SG>DSL>'65>i5

Amp settings:
100w mode
OD1
Resonance: 0
Presence: 5
Bass: 7
Mid: 10
Treble: 2
Volume: 5
Gain: 2-3 on rhythm gtrs, 6-7 on lead/slide

SG Slide

There is reverb on all the guitars (obviously), but nothing else....

When did Dropbox change btw??? No biggie, but it's got it's own media player now, instead of opening in Windows Media Player on my computer....First I've noticed it doing that....

Sounds great. I think the rhythms are too metalish, but that slide was wicked! Very impressive. I've never in my life even thought about playing slide guitar.

Sounds great. I think the rhythms are too metalish, but that slide was wicked! Very impressive. I've never in my life even thought about playing slide guitar.

Thanks dude, probably too much gain on the rhythm gtrs, guilty as usual....lol...

What I do with a slide is really simple man, really. But I'm tellin' ya, the new SG is really touch responsive, I just slapped that together in about 5-10 minutes. If I ever really sit down & work out a slide part with that guitar, it should be really good. I've never had a guitar to feedback so easily man, ever. I know it's still the honeymoon phase, but this thing is killer man....

Run across the street & buy yourself a slide dude, seriously. It's not hard, & you could even play power chords with it that would be bad-ass with your gear...

How do you even do it? Do you tune the guitar different or something? I don't think I'm wired for that kind of style. I don't think I have a fine enough touch for that kind of thing.

How do you even do it? Do you tune the guitar different or something? I don't think I'm wired for that kind of style. I don't think I have a fine enough touch for that kind of thing.

Greg, you can't be any more ham-fisted than I am dude, really. You can do this, it just takes a little pracitce...

I use standard tuning dude, some people tune to open chords, but when I was gigging a kid, I only had one guitar, so I had to play everything on the same guitar.

Every lead you've heard me play is using this simple little scale thing (unless I've copped somebody else's song/solo, & then I honestly don't know what the fuck scale or whatever they used, I play by ear, but this is the whole basis of my playing), even when I'm not using slide, everything...

E_______________________________5____8___
B_________________________5___8__________
G___________________5___7_________________
D_____________5___7______________________
A________5___7____________________________
E___5___8__________________________________

This is what I call the blues/pentatonic scale. Using these notes you would be playing in "A", & you just move up/down the fretboard to change key/chords. Move the notes up 2 frets (7-10, 7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 7-10, 7-10), & that's in "B"....

You can also jump down a string, & move up to "D" using 5-8, 5-7, 5-7, 5-8, 5-8....

I know you know where your power chords are up/down the neck, it's basically using the same thing...

Lemme know if this makes sense to you, I'm terrible at explaining things man...

Back