new guitar! fender tele?

endserenading81

I was thinking of buying a new guitar because my old SQUIRE's number is nearly up. I see alot of my fave bands playing the telecaster. But nevermind that, it is awsome looking and I hear it is extremely versitile. So the question is, is it true?
Thanks,
Rob

P.S. Bands I wouldn't mind sounding like....Mineral, Hum, Sigur Ros, Gloria Record, Appleseed Cast, American Football, Radiohead, Mogwai.

If you have the $$, consider the Nashville Tele: it comes with the usual Tele setup PLUS a Strat middle p/u (other teles only have 2 P/U in them), and with that, you can get an amazing breadth of tone. I am saving for one myself

I bought a Tele on Friday, my first electric. It is a custom special flame top with a beautiful arched body and dual humbuckers. I think I am in love.

Pete

battleminnow said:
I bought a Tele on Friday, my first electric. It is a custom special flame top with a beautiful arched body and dual humbuckers. I think I am in love.

Pete

I just bought one of those on Sunday :D Nice, aren't they?

travis

battleminnow said:

Pete

hey-

can the humbuckers switch to a real good single coil sound too?

While I agree that the Fender Korean-made "Telecasters" with arch tops, set necks and humbuckers which have recently been discontinued are really dubiously Telecasters, the Nashville clearly is a Telecaster.

It - particularly the MIA B-Bender version - gives 100% of the traditional Telecaster sounds, plus the Stratocaster "quack" sound.

An interesting new Telecaster that looks like a great value to me so far is this one, a brand new Korean with a lot of interesting features.

Alanfc said:
hey-

can the humbuckers switch to a real good single coil sound too?

I've read in reviews that the single coil setup sounds more like a strat than a tele. Having never extensively used anything without humbuckers, my unprofessioinal opinion is that it sounds different, and like I imagine a single coil would sound :D I just look at it as another set of tones I can use if it fits the song.

So far i'm extremely happy with this thing.

travis

I love Telecaseters! I've got two Mexicans (my favorite) and the other guitarist in my band has some special edition (bound with something that looks like mother of pearl, painted headstock). I love them. It's a refreshing break from SGs and Les Pauls that so many "indie-rock" bands play.

The last one I bought I played a BUNCH. A custom shop, a '52 reissue, American Standard, Nashville and the best was one of the Mexicans. Be very critical of them though. Some are great some are ok. I played about 4 different Mexicans before getting the one I got and they are a great deal at $350.

I just picked up a highway one American Tele. Sort of mahogany burst, no high gloss finish. The frets are sharp at the edges and I foresee a bit of work with a small file in my future. Perhaps a little unforgiving for those of us with fat fingers, but the setup was good, after a truss rod adjustment, the sound is marvelous, like teles in general. I just couldn't see putting humbuckers on a tele. For that, I use Les Paul or SG. I agree that the tele is a versatile guitar, and if you are a rhythm player, it beats a strat all to hell.-Richie

Love the support

This is great guys! The support is awsome. Yeah, I gotta try the thing out a couple more times. I haven't played it enough to get a solid opinion. 5 minutes at Guitar Center and 5 minutes at my friends' house. These things must be versitile cause at Guitar Center the Telecaster sounded like George Harrison's solo on "Let It Be". Then at my friends house, warm and sweet. But it always had alittle of that "new strings" sound, which sounds great!
Thanks,
Rob

battleminnow said:
Hey ignition,

Where did you pick it up at in Ellensburg? Not exactly music city over there :D

Pete

Yeah, tell me about it :D We have 2 places here, "Jumpin Johnny's Guitar Ranch" and "Boogie Man Music". Johnny, while being a nice guy, consistently has an inventory of guitars that you could count on one hand :D So, I picked it up at Boogie Man. I had never even heard of this guitar until he pointed it out to me, and it was love at first sight :)

travis

I got lucky and the guy at Guitar Center cut me a sweet deal. The were out of the one I came in for, so they gave me the next step up for the same price that the other was, except this is a better guitar and a pricier model. I picked it up for $416 after tax:eek: :D They wanted $630 and list was $899.
One sold on ebay the other day used for $620

Pete

ignition said:
Yeah, tell me about it :D We have 2 places here, "Jumpin Johnny's Guitar Ranch" and "Boogie Man Music". Johnny, while being a nice guy, consistently has an inventory of guitars that you could count on one hand :D So, I picked it up at Boogie Man. I had never even heard of this guitar until he pointed it out to me, and it was love at first sight :)

travis

Hey Ignition-
my band played in Ellensburg a gillion years ago.

It was that Chinese restaurant that becomes a rock club at night. I wonder if its still there...?

Big ol' can of Worms

I take it that you didn't like my remark, Battleminnow.

Well, real Teles don't have arched tops, humbuckers or a third pick up. They don't say custom or thinline on the headstock nor do they have F-holes.

Real Teles have two single coils, have had the shit played out of them, and have honky tonk scars, worn out switches and frets and smell like tobacco smoke truck stops and beer.

I bet you guys don't like this either: Real Strats don't have Floyd rose trems, lace sensors or humbuckers.

Real Teles and Strats aren't made in mexico, korea, maylasia. They were made in Fullerton California.

And with that being said they haven't made any real Teles or Strats or Fender amps since the last century.

Back