New Guitar Day - Fret King Country Squire Super T

TelePaul

J to the R O C
http://www.fret-king.com/supertbsc_spec.html

Not sure if Vintage are as popular across the pond as they has been here of late. For those of you not familiar with the brand, Vintage initially catered for the entry-level end of the market with various Strat, Tele and LP clones. Trev Wilkinson got on board and revamped their product offering with a focus on upgrading much of the hardware, starting with the bridge and vibrato system. Fret King comprise his more 'high-end' offerings, though the prices vary widely across the range.

The Country Squire Super T seems a very credible alternative to a US Fender, fantastic build quality and several innovative touches: Gotoh tuners, fully-compensated three-saddle bridge (no more intonation woes - not that they were ever a huge cause for concern), clever placement of pickup switch and a screw-fixed jack cup and fully contoured body.

The guitar sounds great - as you'd expect, the neck pup is melow and woody and the bridge has buckets of twang on offer, but the best thing about it is the build quality; it seems extremely well put together, and the finish and fretwork are immaculate.

Reactions: JCH
Nice lookin' git and Trev W has a reputation for quality, well at least from what's been said at times on the UK based Patrick Eggle forum I frequent.

:cool:

Nice lookin' git and Trev W has a reputation for quality, well at least from what's been said at times on the UK based Patrick Eggle forum I frequent.

:cool:

Yeah it's the same here and in the UK. He has gotten a huge amount of publicity of late (almost entirely positive) and has been marketing aggressively in the usual monthly mags. It's good to see a new designer offering a different slant on the classics.

Congrats on the new guitar. Never satisfied for long, and always looking for the next one, aren't you? :D

There's a lot of that going around. ;)

So, are the pickups their own design, or are they aftermarket?

Congrats on the new guitar. Never satisfied for long, and always looking for the next one, aren't you? :D

There's a lot of that going around. ;)

So, are the pickups their own design, or are they aftermarket?

I suppose there is that whole Gear Acquisition Syndrome thing going around...but I suppose by way of justification, I work hard for the cash and try to spend it on meaningful things (as opposed to getting blind drunk every weekend like most of my mates!). Also, I realised that after ten years of playing, I'm finally at a place where I can pick up a guitar, play a chord and say, you know "This is a great/good/average/bad guitar". What I mean by that is that I'm no-longer influenced in any great part my magazine articles or what the guy behind the counter says. And it's a nice feeling.

Pups are standard for now but they may get the Bare Knuckle treatment some time down the line.

Last edited:
Back