New cab!!!!

minerman

Tonetard
Finally got a 1x12 with a V30. Traded my HT-5 for it, & I already know I paid more for the HT-5 than the cab cost, but I got to keep/use the Blackstar for about 9 months, so I'm pretty happy with the trade. The V30 is what I've been wanting, I should've got this cab back in the summer, instead of the Greenback, but, now, I've got both. Working on getting a G12T-75 hopefully in the next couple of weeks too, should "round out" my speaker wants/needs......

The bottom end doesn't "flub" out like the GB does, again, it's the cab/speaker I should've gotten in the first place.....

Here's a shitty cell phone pic:

Orangecab.jpg

Thanks guys!!!!
I got the cab yesterday, but I was on the road for almost 8 hours, running here/there, so I didn't do much with it after getting it home......

This morning, my initial thoughs are: bass is much tighter than with the Greenback (could be the higher powered speaker, dunno, but the bottom end is what I've been after...), mids are more "in your face" (actually, the mids are there a lot more, but in a good way to me...), & the highs are different than the Greenback (not as harsh/fizzy, the GB is actually really fizzy, especially when using od/distortion & pushed pretty hard (with my 15 watt amp :p), but again, could be the wattage of the two GB=25 V30=60), but I don't really see what the fuss about this speaker being "harsh" is to be honest.....Could be the "new" factor, & could be that I honestly don't have much experience with different speakers, remember, I've been an ampsim/modeler guy for about 4 years, but overall, I'm pretty happy with the new cab.

I don't really care for the tolex color (I now have the ugliest/mismatched looking rig in the world, instead of "Jacob's coat of many colors", I have "James' amp of many colors" :laughings:), & the grill color/material (makes it really hard to see the speaker through the grill), but it's not about looks for me, it's the sound. I almost got a Mesa 1x12 (slant mini-recto cab), but I would've had to fork out $100 more, so I got the Orange....I didn't mention this, but I only paid tax on the cab, which came to about $40. If I'd gotten the Recto cab, I'd had to add another $100 to that, making it $140......Guitar Center actually gave me $300 for my HT-5, which shocked me to be honest, I didn't expect 'em to give me but about $200, so really, I'm pretty happy with the deal I got....

I still have my little Marshall micro-stack, 5" M-Audio monitors, & a few more odds/ends that I'lll probably end up trading/selling for some things I've been wanting (like a couple different mics, pedals, etc.......)

Again, just playing around with it today, it's kinda hard to find a bad spot for the mic. Just about anywhere I put the mic, it just sounds good, very different speaker from the GB (to me anyway).....So, like I mentioned in the original post, I'm working on getting a G12T-75 for $50, that, another unloaded 1x12, & I should be set amp/speaker wise......Until I start buying more amp heads:D...I tried out a JVM410 through 2-4x12's & was blown away....if I'd had the $$$, I'd came home with it........they also had a couple vintage Marshall amps that were waaay out of my price range (hell, the JVM is out of my price range)....I did get to try out the new Marshall DSL15H, which sounded really good through the V30 cab I brough home, but to be honest, my Tweaker sounds just as good, & is more versatile.....

I am gonna build an ISO box though, that was what I was going to get (the Randall ISO), but after reading up on 'em, I think I can just build one for a lot less than what the commercial cabs cost, & I could use my different cabs/speakers for different "flavors".....

Working on some clips, dunno if I'll get around to postin 'em today or not though, got a busy day ahead with my family, with lots & lots of food involved!!!!:D

Last edited:
Haha, that's funny. That's the exact opposite experience that I have with the V30 vs Greenback. To me, my Greenbacks can do no wrong, and the V30's are very finicky. I can mic the Greenback anywhere, and miking the V30 is like neurosurgery. The Greenback is smooth and silky, the V30 is like harshness on steroids. Lol. To each their own. We have very different amps too. I'm glad you're happy with it. Can't wait to hear it!

Greg: It could be our very different amps, the grill cover (again, it's almost impossible to see the speaker through mine), could be anything. But honestly, I find the GB really finicky to mic myself, really hard to find the sweet spot. BUT, I've only had the new cab for a day, & I'm sure the "new" factor has a lot to do with it, but with my setup, it's hard to find a bad spot with the mic. The GB's/V30's are totally different animals in my experience. Neither is better/worse than the other, just different. You have a lot more experience with this stuff than I do too, so I'm sure that's a factor as well.....

Again, pretty happy with the new cab, pretty much what I've been looking for all these months......so far!!!;)

Yeah, clips to come, probably tomorrow though, about to head out the door & go stuff my face!!!!!

Yes, they are indeed very different.

If you like the V30 this much, I can't imagine you'd like the G12T-75 very much. The G12T-75 has a lot more lows, highs, and less mids. I mean, definitely try one if you can find one, but it's like the polar opposite from a V30. But you never know. You might love it. I think they sound great.

Thanks again Greg,
I already know (by reading other people's comments & hearing comparison clips) about the T-75's, but I'm sure I would love 'em. They're pretty much the "Marshall" speaker, & I think whenever I get one, it'll round out my speaker choice really nicely, as I'll have a pretty decent choice of different speaker tones to choose from.......

Back to the new cab, I think the reason it doesn't "flub/fart" out, is it's a higher watt speaker. I can get breakup with the GB with really low volume on the Tweaker, & with the V30, it's not there.....

And yeah, to each his own, but I'm really happy with the new cab so far.....again, another 1x12, & a little diy ISO box (to kill the noise in the house....fuck the neighbors, I just don't wanna upset the wife, she's having a pretty hard time right now, she has surgery scheduled for the December 26th, so I'm doing my best to be really, really nice to her......) & I should be set to go with my amp/cabs (actually, I'm set right now, & have been for a few months, the GB is really a nice, good sounding speaker)...

I'll try to post some clips later today, but can't promise anything, after I get done stuffing my face, I'd say most likely, I'll go into a coma like I always do......:laughings:

V30s are weird. In some things they sound awesome, in others they sound bad. I haven't been able to figure out what they work with and don't. I have a tiny terror that sounds awesome, a maz 18 that sounds terrible, and (surprisingly) a vintage twin with two v30s that sounds great. When they sound good they are amazing!

I am thinking of pulling them from the twin, getting some weber jensen remakes, and making a 2x12 cab for the v30s!

Back