new amp

Xaaron1377

Right now I have an old Peavey Rage 158 amp that I've been stuck with for quite a while. I'm looking at getting a new amp, possibly the "Fender 25R Frontman II 25W 1x10 Combo" amp. It seems like a pretty good deal to me, and I like the built in reverb knob. I play mostly folk-rock, blues, and things along those lines. Would the Fender be a good choice for an amp?

Get a real amp. Something with tubes.
^ this ^^

I'm no gear snob but I do think you won't be making much of an upgrade if you get the Frontman. Yeah ..... it'll be a little louder (not much though) and you'll get a bit fuller sound outta that 10" speaker but I'd just save a bit more and get something a bit better.

You want, Ideally, a tube amp with tubes in the preamp section AND tubes in the power amp section.

Those Behringer Bugera amps do pretty good for a relatively modest price or you could go used.

But I do think the Frontman will just be more of what you have now.

I was just looking at some tube amps and I'll probably just save up for some time and get something more worthwhile. My grandfather has an old Gibson "Falcon" tube amp from the 60's that I love to use, so I'll probably just play that for a while until I can afford something. Thanks for the advice.

Buy an amp on sound and what suits you in terms of money and such things as luggerbility. Don't get too hung up about valves.
It is largely true that valves are best for power stages but a mix of valve and silicon in a pre amp stage can deliver superb results.

You would also be suprised at how many "famous name" amps have chips and/or transistors somewhere in the signal path! In any event I believe the valve to be doomed for affordable amps in a decade or so's time, fortunately some excellent solid state answers are on their way!

Dave.

Buy an amp on sound and what suits you in terms of money and such things as luggerbility. Don't get too hung up about valves.
It is largely true that valves are best for power stages but a mix of valve and silicon in a pre amp stage can deliver superb results.

You would also be suprised at how many "famous name" amps have chips and/or transistors somewhere in the signal path! In any event I believe the valve to be doomed for affordable amps in a decade or so's time, fortunately some excellent solid state answers are on their way!

Dave.
lol ... the valve has been 'doomed' for the last 30 years ..... they're more plentiful and cheaper than ever except for during the time when there was nothing else.

Same thing with vinyl which was 'doomed' 30 years ago when CDs came out and is now the only material music media that has had increased sales for the last 6 or 7 years.

Tubes will be around as long as anyone wants them ..... China and Russia will keep churning them out.

I've has a couple of SS amps that were decent but I can't really think of one right now that really sounds that good. Maybe Quilter's amps though I've not had a chance to try one.

Tube amps will always be around. It's funny how we still foam at the mouth for century old technology. You can't say that for any other sector of the consumer marketplace. As modelling gets better though I can see tube amps maybe becoming less ideal. Things like the AxeFX and Kemper profiling amp can be scary good. I'd love to take a Kemper into GC and go to town.

I've got a roomful of tube amps of all vintages, so I would expect to be real biased (pun intended) towards tubes. But I have to say the Vox Valvetronix is possibly the 'best' solid state amp I've played. I think I read these have an output transformer, which is always rumored to be a secret ingredient for tube amps to having 'that sound'. I don't know if all the models have OPT's, or just the one model, but whatever I played, it was a really great sounding amp. I know they start from a one 8" speaker model (Nooooo!) for something like $170 up to a 2 x 12" model for $550, so there ought to be a model for your budget. I know the Frontman is only $120 or even less, so maybe think about the Vox VT40+ if you wait and save twice the money you would have wasted on the Frontman? You get twice the power, some effects, and some modeling, with at least one 12AX7 as I recall.

I've got a roomful of tube amps of all vintages, so I would expect to be real biased (pun intended) towards tubes. But I have to say the Vox Valvetronix is possibly the 'best' solid state amp I've played. I think I read these have an output transformer, which is always rumored to be a secret ingredient for tube amps to having 'that sound'. I don't know if all the models have OPT's, or just the one model, but whatever I played, it was a really great sounding amp. I know they start from a one 8" speaker model (Nooooo!) for something like $170 up to a 2 x 12" model for $550, so there ought to be a model for your budget. I know the Frontman is only $120 or even less, so maybe think about the Vox VT40+ if you wait and save twice the money you would have wasted on the Frontman? You get twice the power, some effects, and some modeling, with at least one 12AX7 as I recall.
no .... it has a 'virtual output transformer' so that simply means it simulates or models an output tranny.
"The power amp is a low-wattage valve power amp circuit connected to a "virtual output transformer". This VOT is transistor based and is what actually simulates the output transformer. The "Dummy Speaker Circuit" is what the VOT reads as it is used to simulate the changing impedance (from your playing) of a real speaker."
It does have a 12ax7 which is used to simulate a push-pull amp which is part of it's sound.
I've used one ..... it was a pretty good sounding modeling amp .. better than most SS amps around.
But make no mistake .... it's a modeling amp.

Having said all that it IS a good sounding modeling amp and is probably the cheapest really good sounding SS amp ..... best bang for the buck.
And absolutely FAR better than that Frontman.

Last edited:
Certainly there will always be valves around for those that can AFFORD them!

Then the quality of modern valves is dire, even 5 years ago I was going thru' 50 ECC83s to find 5 that were quiet enough and had low enough microphony for a highish gain 30W amp(but then maybe not everyone is a fussy as moir??). Ten percent of the 50 would also not stand the heater-cathode volts for a PI and hum like a cnut!

Yes, those two countries can and will turn out valves but as the Green legislation bites they will get seriously squeezed to clean up their act and that means cost. Then, if the "Greenies" ever cotton on to how bloody wasteful of power valves are and how some people throw 99.95% of a hard won 100watts away to get bedroom levels we are double doomed!

I have already been contacted by a man who tells me some rehearsal rooms are looking into sstate amps because of constant valve failures on their present stock.

Vinyl? Yeuk! I stopped buying it 20yrs or so ago. It became ever more difficult to find a quiet pressing or one that did not resemble a Golden Wonder! I am talking "classical" music now so maybe the rock/pop boys do not care? Yes, I heard some wonderful sounds from direct discs but who can afford those? But in any case, vinyl/tape was only ever a marginally "hi fi" product in terms of dynamic range and distortion.

The machinery for making valves is, AFAIK still the original stuff and must be wearing out? The only long term hope I see for the valve is if amp makers and valve production peeps get together and decide on a small range of valves that they will make WELL. Still going to cost mind you. In 20 yrs time only the Mays and the Jaggers will run valve amps. I would love to think I shall still be here to say "I SO informed you thusly" but I think not.

Dave.

Vinyl? Yeuk! I stopped buying it 20yrs or so ago. It became ever more difficult to find a quiet pressing or one that did not resemble a Golden Wonder! I am talking "classical" music now so maybe the rock/pop boys do not care? Yes, I heard some wonderful sounds from direct discs but who can afford those? But in any case, vinyl/tape was only ever a marginally "hi fi" product in terms of dynamic range and distortion.

not true at all ....................... not gonna argue about it but there are LOTS of nice quiet vinyl pressings nowadays and something like 65 percent of everything that comes out still comes out on vinyl.
An awful lot of the 180 and 200 gram pressings are quieter than anything that came out during vinyl's supposed hey day.
And don't try the "maybe rockers don't care about sound" crap. I played bassoon in symphony ...... I'm a long time studio engineer and 35 years of tuning pianos 3 to 5 a day 6 days a week.
I'm not just a rocker and my ears are definitely as good as yours ..... there are sonic things that vinyl flat out does better than redbook CD.
You are free to believe what you wish but you're wrong about this.

not true at all ....................... not gonna argue about it but there are LOTS of nice quiet vinyl pressings nowadays and something like 65 percent of everything that comes out still comes out on vinyl.
An awful lot of the 180 and 200 gram pressings are quieter than anything that came out during vinyl's supposed hey day.
And don't try the "maybe rockers don't care about sound" crap. I played bassoon in symphony ...... I'm a long time studio engineer and 35 years of tuning pianos 3 to 5 a day 6 days a week.
I'm not just a rocker and my ears are definitely as good as yours ..... there are sonic things that vinyl flat out does better than redbook CD.
You are free to believe what you wish but you're wrong about this.

Well I haven't bought a "record" in 20 years or more so I wouldn't know, can't be doing with all that Dust Bug faff all over again.
Did not mean to offend any rockers! I like my Floyd hiss free as much as my Bach (and rumble and wow and flutter free to boot!).

Your ears are WAY better than mine! I am registered deaf, in fact I am waiting on a letter to go for a new appraisal to get TWO aids instead of my one. But there was a time when I knew what tweeters were for.

Hmm? Thinking about it, tho' I am 25dB down at 2kHz ref 100 and then go off a cliff, I retain pitch sense so wow would still bother me and I can hear 50Hz hum in systems that my son with his 20-20 lugs can't!

Dave.

Hmm? Thinking about it, tho' I am 25dB down at 2kHz ref 100 and then go off a cliff, I retain pitch sense so wow would still bother me and I can hear 50Hz hum in systems that my son with his 20-20 lugs can't!

Dave.
a lot of that is that your ears are trained ..... so even though you have less actual hearing than him .... you know how to identify what you DO hear.

Sorry 'bout your ears though man ...... that's tough ..... to lose the tools of what you love to do.
I sympathize .... I have significant problems with my hands that affect my ability to play which is what I love to do.
To this point I can ignore it and compensate, which I'm sure is what you do ..... but you know it's not gonna get better so the long range outlook isn't what you would prefer.

But on the subject of our discussion ...... I almost always buy any music, incuding new releases, on vinyl ..... never CDs unless it's something I really, really want and it's not on vinyl which is rare.
And, oddly enough, vinyl tech has come a very long way. There are more turntable and cartridge maunufacturers now than there were 20 years ago and the 'tables are MUCH better.
wow & flutter simply isn't a factor with modern 'tables and with pressings mostly done by small audiophile type companies you don't tend to get those problems in the discs themselves much either.
And I've never paid to download a song in my life ..... guess that makes me old school ...... or geezer if you prefer!
:D

My first experience of CD was Bat Out of Hell!

This was played on a Quad 44/405 system into some big Castle Acoustics speakers.

From nothing, I could not tell the system was running, no telltale runnin groove grumble, no tape, riaa amp or surface hiss. Nothing, then this glorious sound burst forth at I guess about 100dBSPL!

I was hooked, despite kids, wife and mortgage I HAD to get me one of those!

So, sorry all you vinyl junkies but to me it is only a step up from 78s and thorn needles!

Dave.

Back