Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Help - Strat Pickup Driving Me Crazy

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    Strat Pickup Driving Me Crazy
    I've felt the same about them for years!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Played it today and all is still well. The neck pup is working. I have to think it's the 5 way or a bad solder joint....even though I did re-solder all of them not long ago after the problem began. In any case........a new 5 way in en route and when it arrives I'll be installing it and re-soldering one more time. DONE WITH THIS!!!
    Thanks to all for their help.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    Just quick update in case anyone cared. The neck pup stopped working again......but a new 5 way was en-route so I just waited. Replaced the 5 way and it hasn't failed in days. So........guess the switch was failing. Wasn't heavily used so who knows why.

Thanks
    I buy switchcraft and crl switches in bulk. Supposed to be top of the line. But out of every 50 there's one or two that are crap. Defective. I'd imagine with the lower line switches that number would go up.

Thanks
    Congrats on success and swapping the 5-way.
    ..due respect to those who can get in there and rewire and replace the parts, its not easy to do especially if you only do it once every 5 years and its not a exact replacement.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    Adding one more question to this thread if I may. Educate me please. Just picked up a set of Fender 70's re-issue Strat pups. They're genuine Fender and staggered. The neck pup has one pickup pole piece on the high e side that seems really low. It sits slightly below the pup cover. When I look at the back of each of the 3 pups the pole pieces are all even with the bottom of the pup except that particular one.........which is the only one sticking out from the bottom of any of them. I know they're set at the factory and are not adjustable. And.......I'm going to be putting it in one of my Strat projects. Do you think I have anything to worry about? None of my other staggered strat pups on other guitars have a pole piece anywhere near that low. Anyone know why this might be normal?

Thanks for your time guys.............
    Last edited by Mickster; 03-08-2019 at 06:03.

Thanks
    No worries ; )

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RFR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    Adding one more question to this thread if I may. Educate me please. Just picked up a set of Fender 70's re-issue Strat pups. They're genuine Fender and staggered. The neck pup has one pickup pole piece on the high e side that seems really low. It sits slightly below the pup cover. When I look at the back of each of the 3 pups the pole pieces are all even with the bottom of the pup except that particular one.........which is the only one sticking out from the bottom of any of them. I know they're set at the factory and are not adjustable. And.......I'm going to be putting it in one of my Strat projects. Do you think I have anything to worry about? None of my other staggered strat pups on other guitars have a pole piece anywhere near that low. Anyone know why this might be normal?

Thanks for your time guys.............
    Someone has pushed that pole down - I assume you got this set "used/as-is" because it should look like the others. Maybe the E string on the guitar it had been put in was bothering them...

In any case, put your multimeter on the pickups and measure the DC resistance. They should probably be about equal or increasing slightly from neck to bridge. If they're in that 5-7k range it's probably fine as far as the windings go. And check [roughly] to insure the magnetism of that pole is about the same as the others - a small screwdriver or something should stick a bit, i.e., to make sure it wasn't smacked down with a hammer. Then all you can do is put them in and see how it sounds on that pole to check for uniformity across all 6 strings.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

11. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Keith.......how the heck can that pole be pushed down? And....can it be pushed up? I can't move it at all. Anyway....I did install them and the neck pup high E pole is a bit lower in volume than the G and D poles....but not alot.....and the other two pups seem to have similar traits on the high string side. The resistance for all 3 pups is from 5.5k to around 5.8k neck to bridge. The overall volume of this set is a good deal lower than my MIM strat.....and the tones are much different. I like the tones on the middle 3 positions of the 5 way on this set. Anyway.........we'll see. I'm gonna play it for a while. If I don't like them....out they come.

Thanks
    Keep em in for a while. Get used to them, just like a new set of monitors.

What you may miss by having a set of lower output pickups can be more than made up for by the clarity and articulation thats possible with less hot pups.
    Besides, a clean boost will beef up how it's hitting your amp.

Edit: Avoid temptation to raise the pups up too high . You'll get 'stratitis'. A condition where the magnets are too close and are actually stopping the natural vibration of the string. Major loss of sustain, and weird overtones.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RFR For This Useful Post:

Thread Information