Need help getting a particular David Gilmour sound

solo2racr

SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW
The sound he is getting just after 2 minutes into " Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and on till almost 4:00 into the song is what I'm after. You can here it here It kinda sounds like the initial attack is gone. If anyone can give me a start as to how to get this sound, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. I'll play with that. I had an idea it was compression but wasn't sure. I know he has probably used every effect known to man at on time or another. I don't have a MXR DynaComp but I have a newly acquired 3630 ($50.00 VGC used local) that will give me a opportunity to play with it.

I think this is done by muting the strings as he picks and probably with some fast acting compression. A lot of Dave Gilmour's sound is playing technique.

Watch the concert DVD's I could watch and listen to him play all day, top player.

Cheers

Alan.

Good call on the string muting. I hadn't thought of that. It does sound like that too because there is virtually no pick attack.

All this will give me a good start to finding that sound.

Thanks

David Gilmour has an interview in the latest Guitar Player-Jan 2009 issue-and states that he used a Binson Echorec on many of his recordings. It was a tape echo machine that he said was just too hard to keep cleaned and maintained, as well as noisy due to mechanical parts and tape noise and he now uses modern digital delay units.

David Gilmour has an interview in the latest Guitar Player-Jan 2009 issue-and states that he used a Binson Echorec on many of his recordings. It was a tape echo machine that he said was just too hard to keep cleaned and maintained, as well as noisy due to mechanical parts and tape noise and he now uses modern digital delay units.

I remember reading about the Echorec before. I believe it was here. Even if it isn't there, it is still a good article.

Back