Neck Crack: Just a finish crack, or worse?

wtfuhz

5 dollar loud blunts
I'm sure one of the wise members of this forum could take a look at my guitar and tell me if I should be worried about a crack that just recently appeared on the neck of my guitar near the headstock. I know that's the weakest spot, I just hope it's not going to affect my guitar in anymore than aesthetically. The crack appeared after a gig in the blistering heat, and it usually stays in a room at about 72 degrees when not in use. Anyways, here's some pictures:
IMAG0136.jpgIMAG0137.jpg

I do. Time to take it in? I don't want anything bad to happen to my LP! :eek:

That's pretty common on LPs and fortunately very fixable. I don't know how to do it, I just know it's pretty routine. Headstocks are always breaking off of LPs and SGs. Take it in.

yep, that is a somewhat common problem and yes, pretty simple for a 'good' luthier to fix. ask around, don't just take it to your local G.C..

That won't be a problem, the nearest G.C. is an hour and a half away :P I know a few luthiers around here to ask

that looks like a crack in the neck to me ...... part of it looks like just a finish crack but as it get further from the nut it starts to look like the neck.
And as others have said it's pretty common for LPs. Definitely fixable. I doubt it cracked simply from heat though ..... probably took an impact ..... possibly while in the case but either way I'd take it in.

Yeah, my former band mates took the liberty of loading my gear for me. This is what I got.

Yeah, my former band mates took the liberty of loading my gear for me. This is what I got.
yeah that sucks.
I try not to let anyone load my gear but since they're trying to be helpful it's not always easy to stop them without coming off as a prick.
But the only person that really cares about your gear is you.

But I wouldn't sweat it ..... a decent luthier'll fix that right up ..... you may still see where the crack was but it'll be strong as ever.

Back