Name That Scale!

Mark7

Root, flattened 2nd, major 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, flattened 6th and flattened 7th :guitar:

In C it's C, Db, E, F, G, Ab, Bb

You've got the notes of F harmonic minor, and you've written it from C to C so I guess that's F minor Mixolydian?
Not sure if it works that way...

That'd have B, E, and A flat.
Having B, E, and D flat (without the A) means it can't be a major scale, or one of its modes.

As with any scale that isn't a conventional western scale, it makes me think of Aladdin and the opening scene of The Naked Gun.

Same. Would have 4 flats - B,E,A, and D.
With any major scale your sharps, or flats, are going to appear in an order.

F, C, G, D, A, E, B for sharps, reverse for flats.

For that reason you'll never get B, E, and D flat (only) in the same scale unless it's some minor variant.

I'll try again...

phrygian dominant scale - Google Search

From Wikipedia (PLEASE SUBMIT A CORRECTION IF THIS IS WRONG!):

Phrygian dominant scale
A Phrygian dominant scale is produced by raising the third scale degree of the mode:

E Phrygian dominant
Mode: E F G♯ A B C D E
Major: 1 ♭2 3 4 5 ♭6 ♭7 1
Minor: 1 ♭2 ♯3 4 5 6 7 1
The Phrygian dominant is also known as the Spanish gypsy scale, because it resembles the scales found in flamenco music (see Flamenco mode).[citation needed] It is the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale. Flamenco music uses the Phrygian scale together with a modified scale resembling the Arab maqām Ḥijāzī (Katz 2001) (like the Phrygian dominant but with a major sixth scale degree),[citation needed] and a bimodal configuration using both major and minor second and third scale degrees (Katz 2001).​

I play flamenco all the time without formal knowledge of the scale. I’ve just played it enough to improvise in those scales.

Root, flattened 2nd, major 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, flattened 6th and flattened 7th :guitar:

In C it's C, Db, E, F, G, Ab, Bb

Mixolydian (b9, b13) - an inversion of F-harmonic minor.

Or yes, phrygian dominant. Will work like a charm on almost any V7 (dominant 7th chord) going to Im (Tonica minor).

Back