my new perspective

tvaillan

Bear with me , i'm not gloating, there's a point to this ..

I own a mesa boogie triple rectifier. Sounds like a dream .. it breathes, it's blue, it's harsh, it mirrors my emotion ... and yeah it's got a dozen tubes in it. It odesn't have to be a monster .. it can pur.

... she's a high maintenance gal though. I feel a lump in my throat every time i turn her on .. because the inevitable price to be paid is the tube job. ouch.

So what's a poor guy to do?

Well .. it's the quest for the holy grail , or a digital peice of gear that will do the same job for 0 maintenance.

Tried the POD. Tried the korgs, the zooms, the rocktrons ... blech. They are all worth the money .. but don't really come close to letitng you ( and i mean ME) trully dial in the tone you (I) desire.

Then i turned to the computer, enabling direct monitoring at 96KHZ (384 samples, 2ms latency) i tried the vst/ directx world: Amplitube (not bad), Warp VST and some no-names. Not enough flexibility and not enough tweakability.

Then on one faithful afternoon i discovered Izotope Trash. Jebus it's a cool system.

You've got pre-post eq, a compressor, a two stage amp/fuzz/disto and a cab emulator with 3 mic types.

You can emulate , say a punchy input signal with highs trimmed. Sending this into a preamp having 12AX7's . Then send into a overloaded power amp with 6L6's. Finally line this into a vintage 2x12 closed back cab miced using a condensor mic.

64 bits. Total tube responsiveness, warmth .. amazing really.

The distortion can be multi band .. if you're a total freak and want to completely control everything. (The guitar coobook/manual explains why you would want to do this .. i'm too stupid to explain)

I now use this izotope plugin in real time for practicing, laying down chops .. and plan on doing some serious recording with it. It doesn't replace the boogie .. but it certainly replaced the need to fire it up every time i grab the guitar.

Anybody else try this pluginin real time? Dying to hear other's feedback in a non comercial BBS .

Not to ruin your day but, if you own a higher-end amp you should anticipate the cost of owning it. For instance, my TopHat Super Deluxe was rather pricey and the maintenence that goes with it is a given. I fully expect to have to pay $$. It's kinda like the old saying, "if you have to ask the price of a luxury yacht, you can't affort it!"

I've found that most everything out there (digital and plugin) sounds exactly like that. There's the new Vox ToneLab which is intriguing but they included a little window that shows a tube they're using....kinda corny and raises a bunch of red flags with me. I just played their Valvetronix - it has that digital sound that all the other modeling amps have - not for me. All the plugins I've heard sound cheap, transperant, and nothing like the real thing.

BUT, the future looks bright and someday very soon, all these tube-amps will be sitting next to the Victrola's gathering dust. Until then.......LOVE your amp!

Love your tube amp .. isn't that one of the 10 comandments, right up there with "listen to the sound tech" and "don't bother the mastering engineer". hehehe.

As mentioned however, I have tried just about every popular gadget / plugin out there. My amp is wonderful.

I am looking for comments on the particular plugin mentioned.

I haven't actually used Trash, but the stuff on the Izotope site looks and sounds very intruiging....

However, (call me old-school if you must) having so many options makes me uncomfortable. I tend to get caught in "option anxiety", and find myself endlessly twiddling instead of making music. I'd rather throw a mic' in front of my tube amp and play.

Buying some tubes every few years just doesn't enter my mind. They're not that expensive!

A
www.aaroncheney.com

You're right that tubes aren't 'that' expensive.

.. and you're not the only one who's a bit freaked out when faced with 10,000 settings to twiddle with.

I just really really wanted this to work and my beast of an amp isn't always around when i need it.

Took me an afternoon to start dialing in some good presets and now i'm hooked and have admitted that too much is better than too little.

Since not many people are replying to this post .. i'm almost begging you to spend some time with Trash and see if you would serioudly consider using it when practicing and laying down chops. (After trully giving it a try.)

Personally i've got it set up in a virtual 'rack' along with a touch of reverb /delay or what not and can switch amp settings using my midi footswitch in realtime. Got my trusty DS-1 hooked up and ready to go when needed. (Using RT Player that came with my audiophile card and using a DirectX -> VST wrapper).

What's funny is that the Boss DS-1 actually sounds good with the setup .. as opposed to using it with amp modellers such as the POD , Toneworks and various VST plugs. It makes the whole setup more like what you'd have on stage and hence , more realistic.

The setup is so painless and convenient that it takes about 10 seconds to get everything up and running.

The question of course is sound. How does it sound to other ears than mine. Help! . hehehe.

Back