My guitar stinks!!!

Gotta get Beezlebubba to send you some of those high claiber Yankee Candles - put it in a sock (a clean sock-:D ) and leave it in the guitar case or something. You can be the guy with the Cinnamon Ibanez.

whattaguy said:
Literally...it does. I bought my guitar used, and I guess the previous owner wanted to leave his B.O. with it. I had to disinfect the case with deodorizer, but the smell is still in the guitar. It might be fungus or mildew. It's a horrid smell that I can't stand on my guitar! Anyone have suggestions to safely get rid of it (the smell that is)? Thanks!

We are musicians. Not a janitor or a cleaning service.
play play play play, not clean
Call mites/insects/bugs service for flea business
Call Cleaning service to get rid of the stinks

Call me for music ooppsss :cool: j/k

whattaguy said:
You guys crack me up!!! Thanks for all the suggestions. I failed to mention before that this is an electric guitar...Ibanez RG760 to be exact. I sprayed the case heavily with some disinfectant last night, and it still smells like oranges this morning:D But I think the guitar still has some stench on it. I guess time will tell.

ROFL I've got an Ibanez RG and a cat pissed in the case. I've never been able to completely kill the smell.

Originally posted by TexRoadkill
ROFL I've got an Ibanez RG and a cat pissed in the case. I've never been able to completely kill the smell.

There ain't nothing as bad as cat's piss, Iv'e had a few to repair that have been like that, got a electric/acoustic a while back that had a mouse nest in it, mouse piss ain't too hot either.

The worst I ever had was the cat pissed on my wet suit, everytime I put it on it was dreadful, it has worn off and the suit, I might add, outlived the cat.

I spilled coffee in my car, and got a heavy-duty ruug cleaner in a rattle can at the auto store. It foams in, you let it dry, and vacuum it out. Might work for you. (Also, might damage the material in the case, do try it in a small spot first.)

Or take the case to the dry cleaner. They may be up for a challenge (of they may tell you to go to hell).

For the guitar, if you dare, use Goo Gone, which has amazing cleaning powers. (Find it a Wal Mart). This is a case where you probably need to clean the cleaner off after you are done.

Good luck.

Smelly Guitar - A few drops of Essential Oil wrapped in Cotton Wool pads

I just bought a Washburn Acoustic and was bought from a posh house and a lovely lady but I think it had her scent on it or her house smell or something and couldn't stand the smell although the guitar looks pretty new... I got some cotton wool pads which are quite flat and approx 4-5cm diameter and put a few drops of Lavendar and Cedarwood 100% Pure Essential Oils on each pad and sandwiched them both together so the oil was on the inner side of the cotton wool pads and just dropped them in the sound-hole, I suppose you could wrap a bit of masking tape or celotape around the pads to keep them together but I didn't at the time.... now my bedroom stinks of lavendar but I think more drops came out of the bottle dropper than i actually saw hehe... i could even smell it coming up the stairs before reaching my room..... took them out after a day and smells much betterererer :)

I have an ancient lap steel whose case reeked when I bought it. I'm sure it had spent decades in a basement. I just propped the case open and let it air out for a few months. Find a quiet corner and leave the guitar on a stand for as long as it takes.

I was tempted to resurrect the thread before I saw that ya'll did it already...
My "stinker" is a 1958 Gibson 225 hollow body. You really do need to keep your nose away from the f holes, as it smells like Grandma's attic and old varnish. As someone previously mentioned, it very well might be the old glue. From the playing position it just smells like... the blues. I dig it.

Wayyy back in 1975, I bought a new Ovation 6-string in a brown hard case. These guitars had the rounded back made of some kind
of composite material. I'll tell ya.. whatever it was it smelled like the inside of a chemical factory. Had that smell when I first bought it
and it was there the day I donated it to a music school 24 years later. I never liked the playability of that anyway...

.. good riddance! :spank:

You guys crack me up!!! Thanks for all the suggestions. I failed to mention before that this is an electric guitar...Ibanez RG760 to be exact. I sprayed the case heavily with some disinfectant last night, and it still smells like oranges this morning:D But I think the guitar still has some stench on it. I guess time will tell.

Smells like oranges? Maybe lemon? Because then it might be fretboard oil.... that smells like lemon strongly. Only means it is maintained well. Be glad!

A bunch of pansy ass wusses some of you are. :)
Hmmmp, you will let the smells of all that vintage history get in your way of enjoying an instrument .
In the non soyboy world, we call that mojo.
Ok, carry on. :D

"My guitars smell like the sweat I put into them and the soul they put into me."
- Anonymous

Back