My Acoustic sucks.....I need a new one!

jaykeMURD

I sit on you.
I do a lot of my songwriting on an acoustic (okay, 90%), but my little acoustic just isn't cutting it.

It's an Aria, and it's well over 25 years old. Sounds decent, but plays like crap and is unreliable. I can't record with it because it sounds like crap miked.

I need a new acoustic, it's that simple.

Now, I know there are plenty of thread with N00bz asking, "What's the best acoustic for rap under 100 dollars?", but this will not be the case.

First things first, I'm looking to spend around 400-500 buckaroos. I'd have no problem buying a used acoustic.

Now here's my biggest concern:

I play a lot of different styles/genres and am constantly changing my tuning.

Standard to Drop-D to Open-C, 1 step down, 1.5 step down, and a lot of alternate tunings. String pull is constantly changing. I also tend to play "darker" stuff if you will.....I tend to be tuned down a step, as that fits my vocal range the most. My current guitar gets to be annoyingly boomy when dropped more than 1/2 step.

Next, is reliablilty. Not so much construction as staying in tune. Graphite nut, high-quality tuners, properly set-up bridge, etc. I may play anywhere from 30 minutes to 3-4 hours......constantly retuning is very stinky.

The worst part it the intonation of my Aria...It's not adjustable, as most acoustics aren't. With my constant changing of tunings, intonation is a must. I have to mute certain strings when I go up higher because of this....so that's important too.

Needs good action....I'm not a lead guitarist, but I very often will play higher up....so a cutaway is a must.

I'm not really worried about body style, nothing huge, but a good sound is a must.

To sum up:

I need an acoustic with electric capabilities, that can handle constant tuning changes, has a cutaway body style, and is generally reliable.

Whatcha got? :D

P.S. - The only reason I'm posting this is because I usually don't have enough time to go and try out a bunch of guitars....wish I could!

Consider getting a Line 6 Variax. It a digital electric with acoustic sounds. You can program alternate tunings that take effect with the twist of a knob.

Has Strat, LP, acoustic, Rick12, and many other sounds.

Ed

Yeah but a Variax isn't acoustic. I have one and it's great on jobs and a lot of recording situations, but for songwriting I wouldn't want to be without a regular acoustic guitar. I have quite a few guitars but only seem to write on one or two....must be the course of least resistance or something. Anyway, in the price range mentioned I'd be looking at a Takamine, new or used. Most are acoustic/electric, very reliable, and decent sounding.

While the variax is a wonderful studio tool it misses the "acoustic" mark by a bit. In it's defense, it can sound good in a mix but any solo acoustic or lean mix kinda makes it stick out a bit,
Get a Seagull like the other guy and throw in a pup

philboyd studge said:
in the price range mentioned I'd be looking at a Takamine, new or used. Most are acoustic/electric, very reliable, and decent sounding.

that's the first thing I thought of too. I have a low end Takamine and it is a pretty solid guitar but the pickup and eq are passive and not real good but for what you have to spend you can probably get active electronics.

I also thought of the Martin DM or JM. I picked up a used Martin JM well under your price range and it sounds great, records great, plays great and stays in tune.

Have you checked out the Taylor Big Baby? It's actually got a bolt on neck, odd for an acoustic...The thing plays real sweet, and has a great sound. It goes for $399, I think. Good acoustic, good price...

I'm "the other guy" that got the Seagull (S6-Spruce) and I'd have to recommend it. Of course I'm still intoxicated with it, but I don't think it's sweet lemons. I was $100 shy of your price range but was told I wouldn't be making a significant leap in quality going up to the $400-$500 price range. I could have been lied to, but you're still looking at just the tops being solid.

check out abandoneds post from a few days ago! lots of options in that pricerange for solid top imports. Go out and play em all first.

Save up a little more and get a Martin D15. they play great, have fantastic tone and they record beautifully. You'll be glad you did.

you can prolly find one used for around $500, too.

cheers,
wade

abandonedbrain said:
I'm "the other guy" that got the Seagull (S6-Spruce) and I'd have to recommend it. Of course I'm still intoxicated with it, but I don't think it's sweet lemons. I was $100 shy of your price range but was told I wouldn't be making a significant leap in quality going up to the $400-$500 price range. I could have been lied to, but you're still looking at just the tops being solid.

Sound and playability wise, that S6 is a good guitar in any price range. I haven't played any other acoustic under $500 that sounds or plays better than an S6. The higher priced acoustic guitars that I've played sound different but not better.

jaykeMURD, I don't think there's a guitar made that will handle constant tuning changes well. You would be better off getting multiple guitars are sticking to minor tuning changes.

TravisinFlorida said:
You would be better off getting multiple guitars are sticking to minor tuning changes.

That's what I was thinking too......Maybe I can do that when I'm actually a professional!

Minor tuning changes!? BAH! I wish I could stay in one tuning, but I'm too experimental. :D

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Maybe I'll take a couple "vacation days" at work and check out some guitars! :cool:

I would HIGHLY recommend finding any way you can to set aside time and go play some guitars. Seriously, it can't be said enough. These days you can find absolute STEALS in lower price ranges if you just go play a bunch.

That really is the best advice bar none, and this comes from a fingerstyle/wierd tunings/expensive guitar guy point of view.

I would also suggest looking for one without electronics. You can get that added, and without having to save a ton of money...a lower price range, but still good, thing like K&K or Sunrise will pay off in the end.

As for guitars holding consistent intonation in open and alternate tunings. I think people would be surprised just how well it can go nowadays. You just have to seek them out. Yes a higher budget makes it more probable, but a lower one does not make it impossible.

as i said in the "other guys" thread...

you really have to play everything you can. the last thing i would buy online or without playing it first is an acoustic guitar.

that being said, when you go to the stores, some brands to check out:

Alvarez(what i bought), Seagull, Art and Lutherie, Takamine, Norman, and you also might find some decent Ibanez's in that range.

i personally would stay away from (at first) epiphones and fenders. the fender name to me means VERY little to mewhen it comes to acoustic compared to their electrics.

Adam

marshall409 said:
i personally would stay away from (at first) epiphones and fenders. the fender name to me means VERY little to mewhen it comes to acoustic compared to their electrics.

True that. I was taught early on by an old friend of mine....Fenders make good electrics, but their acoustics....well they suck.

I've played on a fender acoustic, it was pretty crappy.

Back