Musician's Friend's "Learn-the-Mandolin" package: is it worth it?

A friend of mine just asked whether $70 was a good deal on a used Fender acoustic guitar. I told him that I don't really like Fender acoustics, but as long as the neck is straight, I'm sure that a set of new strings and a few tweaks will at least make it playable. And anything playable is worth at least $70.

Same principle here.

You'll get what you pay for. Mandolins are no easier or cheaper to make than guitars, so at $49, you'll be getting a piece of crap along with information you can get off the internet. It's much better to spend a little more and get something you can enjoy. I'd suggest Kentucky or Micheal Kelly, or up another notch to Eastman.

You say you would like to learn mandolin, I've always tuned them in the same configuration as the the top 4 on a guitar, no difference to playing guitar. If learning was what you were going to do.
I once read an article by Tommy Tedesco (spelling?) and he never turned down a call for any stringed instrument that was plucked, he simply tuned as you would a guitar, no one knew the difference and there are many tunings for most instruments. He got a heap of gigs that way.

I got one! Had it since Christmas day. I took the time to intonate it and put some Martin strings on it and I think it sounds OK. It is not a Gibson however it is 100 times better than the nearest midi equivalent !

You can find an MP3 by following this link:

http://homepage.mac.com/dr_simon_richardson/FileSharing3.html

This is recorded with a flat EQ, no verb etc and without any compression.
The change in EQ at the beginning is me moving my pick closer to the neck.

IronFlippy said:
are they even worth the bother? $50 from musician'ss friend. They seemed to have gotten pretty good reviews, so long as my luck holds out and it doesn't get wrecked in shipping.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/511196/

I've always wanted to learn the mandolin, but i never have the money for a decent one, especially if i'm not even sure if i'm going to like it.
I started to order that myself, but was wondering the same thing. I am glad you posted. I think I will get it. I figure if I really like playing one, then later I can get a better one.

The strings it comes with are pretty bad, so if you do decide to get it, id also get a couple of sets of nice strings. I went with Martin phosphor bronze mediums (0.011 to.040).

my fingers hurt just looking at that. like anything, it'll be a hit or a miss. If you do get one with a straight neck, and can get the action down where it's comfy, it'll do. Personally, from experience, and I was interested, I'd get something a little better. But then again, talking gear, what's 50.00, I drink that much most any night. :D :D

I've had about a dozen or so mandos, working my way up to a nice little Gibson, and I wish I had bought the Gibson first. ;)

oh, yeah.....if'in you do get it, and find you want more info about the mando, and learning....get over to mandolincafe.com. bunch of good folks there, and check out their classified forum.....some good mandos always there, when you want a better one.

Thanks everyone! Dr. Simon, that mp3 sounds pretty good. I suppose it'll be hit or miss, but I can keep my hopes up. Dtb, thanks for the link. I don't really care about the books, but the gig bag would be nice.

I think that if you get some nice strings and spend a little time setting it up (ie getting the bridge in the right place and setting the bridge high) and make sure it tunes up / strings are stretched in and all the other things you do with a stringed instrument you will be fine.

If the neck is bent return it and get another one !

The gig bag is quite nice also !

Back