Multiple Offers For the Hot Rod Deluxe- Tell Me What You Think

stevieb

Just another guy, really.
Posted the Hot Rod Deluxe on Craig's List, and got some interesting offers. Here are the ones I am considering in decending order of what I think is the best deal.

15watt Matchless Lightning Clone built by Ed Giller and Earcandy cab with 1-12.

VOX ad120VT with VC-12.

These might have been okay, if the seller would have come up with what I requested that is in paranthesis ( ).

Fender Blues Junior and tremolo pedal ($100 cash.)

Peavy Delta Blues DB210 a rackmount Digitech GSP 21.($100 cash)

There was one offer of a Rivera Duo 100 – 212, but he wants $600 cash from me. The quality of this deal is moot, as I don't HAVE $600 to give him...

Some others were just laughable, but you know how people can get when they think they smell blood in the water... Can't post those here- I usually just send a "no thanks" email and deleted...

Now, I am not really jonesin' for the Giller, but it is a nice amp/cab, and I think if I get tired of it, I can easily turn it into more cash than the HRD would bring- do you agree?

Which of those amp(s) would be good to place in a professional studio, for the occasional client that would appreciate it/them, and would be willing to pay a rental fee for the amp? I am thinking only the Giller, and perhaps the Blues Jr...?

Thanks.

Bump. Really, folks, if you thought some of my earlier post were just noise, I can respect that, but this time I would really like some input. Thanks.

PLEASE, folks, help me out, here. I waited till I had all the offers I figured I'd get, and then only posted because I have limited experience with some of those amps. I could REALLY use some informed opinions...

You might not like to hear this, but......

All of your posts about amp purchases... I have never seen you mention anything about the amp with the best tone. :confused:
Deals are had when you find something you really, really, want for a good price.

You might not like to hear this, but......

All of your posts about amp purchases... I have never seen you mention anything about the amp with the best tone. :confused:
Deals are had when you find something you really, really, want for a good price.

Yep. Don't get frustrated because you're not hearing back on this one. Maybe no one's got an opinion one way or another on what you've listed. That is such a subjective call--you have to make it with your ears and your wallet.

Whitestrat, you make a good point, in a respetful manner.

I own a 77 Deluxe that has wonderful tone. Am negeotating with two different folks, about a trade for a Princeton (one a SF reverb, the other a BF non.) Princetons have good tone, in 99% of the cases (not including the newer SS ones, which do not appeal to me.) There is more to a decision on what amp might be best than tone. Reliability, resale value, suitability to a particular application, others, all enter into the picture. And outlaws, you are way off in your assertion that "all my post are about amp purchases." If you had actually done a search- a suprisingly easy thing to do, once you get off your ass and actually look into it- you would know better.

I have very little to add but I have extensive personal experience with the Peavey Delta Blues 210 and it is a very underrated amplifier.

At the time of purchase, I had a $500-1500 budget (but I was only going over $1000 for something I loved). I fell in love with a Zinky Blue Velvet for right around $1000. Then I switched to the Delta Blues 210 and (IMO) it sounds 90% like the Zinky, plus other sounds the Zinky doesn't do, and it was like $550 new. The versatility and competitive price made it a winner.

I've also compared it to a Peavey Classic 50 and some old ratted out 1980s Marshall combo (it wasn't mine and all the controls were rubbed off, not sure the model but it was all tube and either 50W or 100W). Everyone tried to trade me for the Delta Blues 210 but it's still mine.

The tremelo circuit is a little lame. If you're really using the tremelo (i.e. the depth is set high enough to really hear it) the overall volume is significantly lower than clean.

The resale value on these is low-fair, in my opinion, usually running around $350. A great condition Delta Blues 210 is certainly worth $350. That's $350 for an all tube American made amplifier, btw.

(The Delta Blues 115 is a completely different beast that I did not like at all.)

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Well, thanks everyone, really. I have pretty much decided to go with the Giller (Matchless Clone) if the guy will cover or participate in the cost of an attenuator- the amp, even at 15 watts, is still hard to play soft, and I don't want to overwhelm my playing buds.

why don't you try the top choices out and make it clear that neither party during the trial is obligated to make the deal?

Back