Multi effects pedal without amp modelling?

jeff0633

Hi. I use a 60 watt tube amp live, and I would like to have a multi effects stomp box with reverb and delay and such, but I don't want no amp modelling. I simply want to use the effects loop in my amp and have a mulkti effect unit that can store presets and something that has no modelling.

Jeff

Yeah, but when you turn off the amp models, you can't have any overdrive or distortion. I want the unit to have some overdrive and reverb and chorus. Why is it that they force overdrive and distortion to rely on amp models? I hate that shit. I guess a Boss ME33 would fit the bill.

Jeff

Guitargauntlet said:
You mean disortion tpye things or chorus and reverb? Most modeling boxes you can turn off speaker simulating. WEll at least digitechs can.

www.geocities.com/chuckacious

http://www.getfreeforum.com/forums/index.php?mforum=chuckacious&act=SC&c=2

I guess one question is whether you care what is inside the box if it produces a sound you like.

Most stomp boxes are set to be connected between the guitar and amp. Most rack based units can go either way.

Behringer has a new X V-Amp floor unit that some like.

Ed

Ed Dixon said:
I guess one question is whether you care what is inside the box if it produces a sound you like.

Most stomp boxes are set to be connected between the guitar and amp. Most rack based units can go either way.

Behringer has a new X V-Amp floor unit that some like.

Ed

Yeah, I saw that X vamp, and could find no reviews on it at Harmony central.

Are there any reviews here?

Jeff

I've never used a multi effects box that had a good overdrive/disortion. Multi-effects are usually digital and nothing sounds worse than a hokey digital 8-bit distortion. Your best bet is to get a good stop box for overdrive and distortion and then get a separate unit for multi-effects. It's hard to recomend a good multi-effects unit though. You just have to try a bunch of them out at the music store. They all do certain things better than others and you usually get what you pay for.

Many professionls and amateurs use Line 6 multi effects gear, and find the overdrive sounds pretty useful. Perhaps a dozen other firms make similar gear that is used throughout the music industry.

The best approach is to try different units and pick the one whose sound best fits your needs.

My rack includes both Marshall preamps and Line 6 POD Pro units. I find the POD units produce a more useable overdrive sound.

Ed

There are many that feel that way. My suggestion was to let one's ears be the judge, not the technology inside the box in question.

Does it really matter what is inside if the resulting sound meets one's needs?

Ed

I posted a similar thread a while back. I ended up buying the TC Electronics G Major which is a single rack unit that goes thru the FX loop. It sounds awesome - highly programmable and the fx are prisitne. Nice 'verbs, delays, flangers. Plus some weirder shit like pitch shifting and filters. It has a great always active tuner on the lcd and you can use it to switch channels on your amp.

You can also add a midi foot controller (the G Minor) for switching fx, controlling parameters and things like the wah and pitch shift.

Decently priced but more than your typical Boss multi fx box I think.

>>"Many professionls and amateurs use Line 6 multi effects gear, and find the overdrive sounds pretty useful"

Yeah, the effects can be useful, but I doubt any proffesionals use the overdrives/modelers for anything other than laying down scratch tracks or skillfully placing it underneath a real overdrive coming out of a real amplifier or an amp driven by a good od pedal. If you have an even halfway decent 60 watt tube amp, I think you will be sorely dissapointed by any od/distortion put out by a digital unit.

espskully said:
I ended up buying the TC Electronics G Major which is a single rack unit that goes thru the FX loop. It sounds awesome

I too have a G-Major, and the effects are quite good.

Ed

noiseportrait said:
[BI doubt any proffesionals use the overdrives/modelers for anything other than laying down scratch tracks or skillfully placing it underneath. [/B]

I think you'd be surprised. Some of the names you can find referecned on Google include Jeff Beck, U2, N-Sync, Brooks and Dunn, Dwight Yoakum, Faith Hill, Jo Dee Messina, Brad Paisley, and others. The Line 6 site also has some of their current artists listed as well. Most professional studios have POD gear on site, and use it.

Modellers are not meant to replace amps, but provide yet another sound shapping alternative for musicians.

Ed

I've been using Line6 Modellers for about 4 years now (POD 2.3, POD Pro, XTPRO rack units).....and, whilst they don't quite have that full bodied, rich sounding warmth, that a 'real' tube amp produces....(due to the fact that the all-important speaker to MIC "air" push is missing, when used in a direct recording scenario).......however, today they come pretty close, and in a full MIX, it's virtually impossible to tell the difference.

Sometimes, a few online friends and I, take part in a JAM FEST using a variety of units....Vetta's, Vox Tone Labs, XT's, POD's and real amps.....and often, nobody can guess the correct gear used when listening to the mix....

Here's a short example...with 10 different clips....there's only one REAL tube amp used in that mix.....can you spot it? ;)

http://line6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=006636

The truth is, we all like to claim that we can always recognize WHAT kinda amp is being used...but WE can't simply cos, tube/solid sate and amp modelling is all very close these days, and getting closer by the minute.

KEV

Believe it or not, I still use a 15 year old Roland DEP5 rack unit. It's MIDI and has all the pristine, 24 bit reverbs, delays and lush chorus and flange you could ever want. It cost a serious bundle of cash in 1989.......Haven't found a reason to shop for anything else in all these years. On the distortion, I tend to agree that digital distortion is crap. If you're not satisfied with the distortion you can get with your tubes, get something like the MXR Distortion + or the BOSS Metal Zone.

Ya know,

Tube purists always claim that nothing sounds like a tube amp...well recently I listend to a sound clip posted on the Line6 forum, that a group of freinds did.....one guy used the VETTA II (SS amp)....and every single reader thought that was the TUBE amp sample...

So, it just go's to show, that in a MIX, it's real hard these days to tell the difference.

All studio productions are EQ'd anyways, and FX'd up, compression, etc....SO, what you are actually 'hearing' on a CD, isn't the base raw guitar tones anyways....

A lot of Tube amps, sound raspy/harsh/fizzy/buzzy without post-EQ, and/or a bunch of pedals stuck infront of them anyways.

You can always take a modeller, say like the XTPRO, and run it through an all TUBE rackmount power amp, like the new Carvin TS100...and into a cab for live work, or MIC'ing up....

So that set up, provides one with BOTH recording options.

KEV

I picked up a Boss ME-50 late last year. This provides emulations of several well known Boss pedals - with no amp modeling.

I got it to run into a POD - because I didn't like the POD pedal board (too much delay between stomps) and for a few bucks more I could get the ME-50.

I like this unit cause it has knobs (just like real stomp boxes) instead of numerous pages of data windows.

I have not been completely satisfied with this running into a POD (or J-Station) it works, but it takes a little effort to get the right blend of tones.

But running the ME-50 into a Fender Champ (or even into a Roland Cube 15) gives me good tone - and with knobs that I can tweak!

Back