Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Right to Left...

Thanks

Moving from Right to Left...

Sign in to disable this ad
    hi there.

i'm a strongy lefty and proud of it - but when i first started to play, i was taught by my elder brother and my dad (both right handed - i'm the only lefty in my family ) and because the only instruments we had in the house we're right handed, i was given a right handed guitar... i dont think it even crossed their minds that i might suit a left handed instrument better than a right handed.

and i've pretty much taught myself since i was about thirteen - i'm now sixteen. i'm kinda pleased with the progress i've made, but i always have this nagging feeling that i'm holding the guitar the wrong way round, like my left hand should be holding the plectrum and letting my right hand do the dirty work. the few times i've played a left handed guitar, while it hasn't been as smooth as my right handed playing, its felt like it has much more - potential - like its better.

i suppose i was just wondering if anyones ever moved from right handed to left handed guitar, and how they found the change, and whether they eventually prefered it. would you recommend i try to loan/buy a cheap left handed guitar?

thanks for any advice,

Andy
    "They're posh round 'ere. They get out of the bath for a piss and Everything."

Thanks
    Never switched, but....

I am a lefty, and the guitar always felt better in my hands the righty way.

I have sold probably 200 guitars to beginners, and I always put the guitar in their laps and ask them which way it feels better.

It always feels "right" one way or the other.

I say get yourself a cheap lefty, and check it out.

Thanks
    Political threads go in the cave.
    "That was so terrible, I think you gave me cancer!"
    My tunage

Thanks
    just flip your strings to try it out next itme you change your strings and see hoe you like it!!!
    -Gibson 1967 ES 125 TDC
    -Epiphone les paul
    -samick d-1 acoustic
    -crate electric (entry level)
    Jammin for Jesus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonguy09
    just flip your strings to try it out next itme you change your strings and see hoe you like it!!!
    i'm with this guy. dave grohl said he learned to play left handed while he was in nirvana because there was never a right handed guitar around. he claimed that it didn't take that long to get used to it. it would probably take less time for an actual lefty to do it.
    This place is garbage.

Thanks
    groovy!

i was getting ready for a lot of people saying 'no!!!' and other related comments

... and i'm 16 - have you ever met a right wing 16 year old?! it doesn't exist

hehe

Andy
    "They're posh round 'ere. They get out of the bath for a piss and Everything."

Thanks

Question

Ok so what would a 'pro teacher' recommend for a new student?

My 9 year old daughter is a south paw, but she seems to have picked up pretty quickly on a right handed axe....

Was I wrong to start her right?
    [I]"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me."
    Hunter S. Thompson[/I]

Thanks

Thoughts from a lefty

You can't really re-string a righty guitar without flipping the nut upside down as well. So either play it "upside-down" (high strings on top) or switch both the strings AND the nut. But first hear me out.

I started out on drums left-handed and still play that way today. I can play right-handed kits a little, but I'm much better - and much more comfortable lefty.

I picked up the guitar around the same age you started. I was an assistant drum instructor at a local music school and the owner insisted I learn another instrument. I chose guitar for it's portability and versatility.

When I sat down with the guitar instructor I held the guitar left handed. (I had been playing a wicked left-handed air guitar for years ) The instructor took the guitar, flipped it the other way (righty) and said two words:

"Trust me."

"But I'm a lefty, and Hendrix and Iommi and Paul McCartney and Dick Dale..." I pleaded.

"Trust Me." He interrupted.

So I tried. Felt very unnatural, but I stuck with it. I'm glad I did.

Learning righty meant I could pick up just about any guitar anywhere and play. That would be very difficult if you get used to restringing it lefty.

I only wish I learned drums the same way. Everytime I sit in on gigs, sessions, or just jam with a band for a few songs it's really uncomfortable because rearranging the kit is not an option.

I believe we leftys are forced to be more creative because we HAVE to approach things differenty, and sometimes it really helps us stand out from the pack. So I think that either way you play it, being lefty will help define your own sound.

I'm just trying to give you a slightly different perspective to help you make your own informed decision.

Best of Luck, Rez

Thanks
    I totally agree w/ RezN8.

I would also add that if you switch lefty you are commiting to a lifetime of:

smaller selection
    higher prices

Trust me...

No seriously.... trust me.

A

Thanks

Cool

I'm a lefty and personally I think I like playing guitar "right handed" because my left hand is the most detailed of the both. I draw with my left hand and anything intricate or needs precision I'll use my left, well except for the trackball on my computer (right). So therefore I enjoy using my more precise hand for the most precise part of msot guitar playing which of course occurs on the fretboard.

Thread Information