Morley Wah?

punkin

Univalve & Avatar Speaks
I'm in the market for a new Wah pedal...something flexible that can do some mild rock to metal. I haven't seen too many reviews on them. Just wondering if anyone here has had any first hand experience.

I know what some are going to say...go try one...I'm not in a position to do that right now and I was thinking that worse come to worse, I could just order one from MF and send it back if I don't like it but would be inclinde to stay away from it if the general concensus is that they suck.

I'm replacing a very tired Crybaby that was modded before I got it. I don't know what the mod was but it sounded great. It's been repaired many times and once again, it's starting to act up.

Thanks!

punkin said:
I'm in the market for a new Wah pedal...something flexible that can do some mild rock to metal. I haven't seen too many reviews on them. Just wondering if anyone here has had any first hand experience.

I know what some are going to say...go try one...I'm not in a position to do that right now and I was thinking that worse come to worse, I could just order one from MF and send it back if I don't like it but would be inclinde to stay away from it if the general concensus is that they suck.

I'm replacing a very tired Crybaby that was modded before I got it. I don't know what the mod was but it sounded great. It's been repaired many times and once again, it's starting to act up.

Thanks!

Morleys are very quiet. They do not run the signal though a mechanical pot, but through a photoresistor, and the pedal controls a flap that covers and uncovers the photoresistor's "eye" which is pointed at a light source. When the light burns out, it quits working so get some extras (although they last a long time).

punkin said:
Great thanks...how about the sound...what do you think of them?

That's pretty subjective; some folks actually like the noisiness of a mechanical pot. The Morley filters work well, though, and sound good to me. I don't have one of their wahs, but I have had several other pedals of theirs, and I like their quiet operation.

I've tried 3 Morley Wahs. I started with their standard Wah/Volume pedal, then I got a Tremonti model, then I borrowed a Bad Horsie for a while.

The sound of the first one wasn't bad but I hated the push button footswitch to turn it on. I got the Tremonti pedal becasue it had the automatic function that turns it on as soon as you step on it. I liked it in the store, I hated it with my band, The sweep was horrible and you could hardly tell I was using it.
The Bad Horsie sounded alot better, but it still wasn't quite what I wanted.

When I finally got a Crybaby I stopped buying any more wah pedals if that tells you anything. I wish that the Morley pedal with the automatic switching had the same sound as a Crybaby. I also like to leave my pedal in a certain spot while I play sometimes and that is harder with a Morley becasue they are sprung to stay toe up. You have to physically hold it where you want it and that is harder to do.

The sound thing is pretty much just personal taste. I could see someone prefering the Bad Horsie sound as long as they liked the spring loaded operation. I would like to try the Bad Horsie Contour Wah which has the adjustable sweep but I really don't even use a wah much anymore. That was back in my cover band days.

I have the wah/volume. Capable, but nothing special. I use it more as a volume pedal for lap steel than I do as a wah.

The thing about Morleys to me is

the pedal travel. It has a longer 'throw' than a Cry-Baby type. This is good if you want to make very slow or minor wah sweeps, but if you want to do the 'pumping' wah thing, well, I hope you have better ankles than I do. :(

i agree with metalhead on the sweep thing for the morley wah's that i've tried. they sound weak. a crybaby is noisier but it wah's like it's supposed to.

I've had a Jim Hendrix Cry Baby for almost 20 years & bought a Morely 2 years ago.
I A B'd them. I recorded with both, played with both rejigged the signal chain with both. The Morely is quiter, smoother, easier BUT just doesn't have the grunt & in the full back position it doesn't gargle.
I sold the Morely for less than I paid after 3 months.

Well, I settled. I couldn't play a Morley since they weren't in stock...I tried a couple of the dunlops and the Q somethin' or other model came close the the sound I had with my now dearly departed. But in the end, I went out the door with the Ibanez Weeping Demon...it's just optioned nicely and does a lot of cool sounds which the others didn't seem to do. I really like the feel of the pedal more too.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I appreciate it.

That Ibanez pedal looks badass. I've always wanted to try one (not because I love Ibanez as much as my name implies) so please right a review on it when you have the time.

Yes the switch thing is a PINTA. Have owned one since T-rex roamed the earth. It has outlasted two cry babies. Wider sweep and older models had a booster from hell. It would overdrive a fender twin...... LOUD.

Back